Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Assign variables with cut
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign variables with cut Post 56002 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 23rd of September 2004 04:11:42 PM
Old 09-23-2004
Just read the original file and discard some variables -
try:
Code:
   while read first second var1 var2 alltherest
      do
         if [[ "$var1" = "L" && "$var2" = "e" ]] then
            echo "Good Match" $var1

elif [[ "$var1" = "T" && "$var2" = "t" ]] then   
            echo "Good Match" $var1
         else 
            echo "No Match" 
         fi
      done < file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to assign cut values to an array

i need to seperate values seperated by delimiters and assign it to an array.. can u plz help me on that. Variables = "asd,rgbh,(,rty,got,),sroe,9034," i need to assign the variables into arrays.. like.. var=asd var=rgbh.. and so on how do i do this. i need to reuse the values stored in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign script parameters to variables

Hi, I have a bash script that accepts some parameters as input, like: sh script.sh first second third ..... I want to save these parameters as different variables, something like: VAR1=first VAR2=second etc I tried this, but apparently it didn't worked....... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command value assign to variable

Hi, I am new to UNIX Scripting. I have been trying to use the CUT command to retrieve part of the header from a file and assign it to a variable. I have tried searching a lot, but I am still unsuccessful. Sample Header: HJAN BALANCE 20090616 I need to retrieve the date here, which always... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragz_82
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign values to variables of a file

Hi, I have a file like the following... CUST= DIR= NULIST= name=philps_123 How can i add values to each of these unassigned variables using a shell script? say for eg: i have values for CUST as onida, dir as /dir/onida, NULIST as /tmp/onida_files. How can i add these values to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text and assign them into array

file.txt : is delimiter: abc:def:ghi jkl:mno: pqr 123:456:789 if I do the cut command, and cut the first column, and echo it out I will get the output: abc jkl 123 How can I assign the column of text that I've cut into Array? e.g If I were to echo array array it will output as:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

match and assign variables

Hi guys, I'm currently writing a script for automating a FreeBSD ZFS setup (ZFSonRooT). I got stuck at one point for raidz(1,2 a.k.a raid5,6) and am in need of assistance. This is what I need. example: #!/bin/sh <- must stay sh echo -n "hdd list: " read hdd_list echo -n "hdd label list:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A better way to assign values to variables - shell

so i've been used to doing it this way: SVAL=$(echo "7 3 2 38 3" | awk '{print $2}') 4VAL=$(echo "4:21:N:3" | awk -F":" '{print $4}') I know there's a way to do it by putting the value in an array and assigning it that way. but i'm not sure how to do it efficiently. any ideas? i dont... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to variable using cut?

Hey guys. Below is the command I am using to assign "yellow" to the variable yellow. I can seem to echo it out using xargs but when I assign it to yellow and then try to echo it out it prints a blank line. Below is the command. Your help is highly appreciated! cut -c 2- color.txt |... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldan88
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Unknown Values to Variables

i have a program that spits out a certain number of values. i dont know the number of values. they can be 4, 10, 7, 20, no idea. but, i want to be able to assign each of the value returned by this program to a variable. in the latest instance, the program gave the following 6 values: 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)