Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cutting Up a String
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting Up a String Post 55871 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 21st of September 2004 11:12:52 AM
Old 09-21-2004
try:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
filename="stuff_20040903.DAT"
filedate=${filename%.*}
filedate=${filedate#*_}
echo $filedate

exit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting part of string

Hi, I wanted to cut a specific portion from given string. How would I do that? Example: /u09/core/inbound/abc.txt is my string. I want abc.txt in a variable. Please help me. Regards, Dhaval (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhaval_khamar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting segment of a string

Hi, I am using bash. My question concerns cutting out segments of a string. Given the following filename: S2002254132542.L1A_MLAC.x.hdf I have been able to successfully separate the string at the periods (.): $ L1A_FILE=S2002254132542.L1A_MLAC.x.hdf $ BASE=$(echo $L1A_FILE | awk -F.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting a string based on the third occcurence of a character

Hello, I am new to unix hence struggling with my requirement. I have a string like : ECR/CHQ/GBP/12345.out I need to get only the ECR/CHQ/GBP portion of the string(cut the string based on the third occurrence of / )...How do it do it? Many thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble cutting characters into a string.

I just have a couple of quick questions. I am having trouble with this cut. I am basically trying to cut the string so that i can insert the users guess at the appropriate point in the string. $letters is the character count of the $word. What it seems to do is cut the character into the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting the value from a string

Hi all I have a string variable ${WHERE_SQL1} where i want to cut the first value of a variable. Eg ${WHERE_SQL1} = 'Where a.id =.................' I the string to be 'a.id =.......' Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theeights
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cutting a string

Hi All, I have a string in the following format "abcd | fghfh | qwer | ertete" I need to cut the values in the following format line1 = abcd | fghfh | qwer line2 = ertete Simply speaking a want to cut all the values before the last delimiter from the line and print it on one line and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting string inside if

I was trying the below statement if It is working fine if I run it in a test file. but not working, when I am trying in my actual script. Error: : "${FXML_line:1129:1}": bad substitution Thanks in advance :) PS: Above if block I have a while loop which is reading a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string and storing it in a variable

Hello I have a script: path=test1 echo "${path%?}" till this the program is successful in deleting hte last character i.e. "1" and displays an output --> test. After this how can i save this output to another variable. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishore920
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string using more than one character as delimiter

Hi , I have a set of files in a folder which i need to cut in to two parts.... Sample files touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_YTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch temp_AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting string values from a file

My file looks like this.... User:SYSTEM,O/S User:oracle,Process:3408086,Machine:hostname ,Program:sqlplus@hostname (TNS V1-V,Logon Time:25-JUL-20 14 13:36 I want to get the date and time which is displayed after the 'Logon time'. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
5 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)