Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GREPing for Nulls
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GREPing for Nulls Post 55724 by Dr. DOT on Friday 17th of September 2004 01:28:49 PM
Old 09-17-2004
GREPing for Nulls

I just had a filesystem / file corruption issue on my HSP's server due to disk capacity limits and fileswapping. I discovered that certain files got corrupted when fileswapping was not successful and they ended up with a string of control characters, or what I believe to be nulls, in them.

Does anyone know the proper grep arguments for a complete directory file search to find all files containing "^@^@^@^@^@" where "^@" is what I believe to be nulls.

Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Blanks vs: Nulls

I'm relatively new to Pro*C programming. In the following example: char name; EXEC SQL SELECT 'John Doe' INTO :name FROM DUAL; "John Doe" is in positions 0-7, blanks in 8-19, and a null in 20. I would really prefer the null to be in position 8 and I don't care what's after that. I wrote a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebock
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nulls using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace nulls with spaces in every record of a '|' delimited file. I used this command - cat input.dat | sed 's/||/| |/g' > output But if a space appears twice '| | |' , then only the first null is getting replaced with a space. The second one remains as a null. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice1324
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort truncates line when they contain nulls

When I try to sort a file where some records contain nulls i.e. hex 00 the sort truncates the record when it reaches the null and writes message: "sort: warning: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file myfile" I'm assuming from this that the sort sees the null as a special character and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArthurWaik
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

include NULLs in line length check

Hello, I am checking the length of each line of a fixed length file and making sure all lines are 161 length. My problem is that some files contain null characters which gets stripped out of my echo. How do I have the NULLs included in my check? (and I cannot replace or sub the NULL values with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironmix
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Counting columns in a delimited record with NULLs

I am trying to count the number of columns in a delimited flat file. The record is tab delimited. When I use the command wc -w, I am getting unexpected results when the record contains a NULL value. I believe it is because there is a "word" missing. The below example will return 4 words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that Nulls Contents of Files

Ok, I'm stuck here with a plan to get what I need done completed. I want to use perl to produce a document. lets say the document will be a pdf document. Now, is there a way for me to put a tiny little code in that pdf document that can make the pdf file null itself if run on a non-unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nulls with a value in a file

Hi, I've a PIPE delimited file with about 5 fields. Sometimes the records in the 4th field is null, so I want to replace it based on values we get it on 2nd field in the same file. Following is an example. ABCD|X-TYPE 3.0|2010|X-TYPE|20000 CDEF|C-TYPE 2.5|2011|C-TYPE|10000 XYZ|LX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove or truncate trailing nulls from file

I want to remove from a file the trailing null characters (0x00) and stop doing so when a different byte is found (which should not be deleted), and either put the result to the same file or a different one. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
9 Replies
DAR_CP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 DAR_CP(1)

NAME
dar_cp - disk archive copy SYNOPSIS
dar_cp <source file> <destination file> dar_cp -h dar_cp -V DESCRIPTION
dar_cp is similar to the standard 'cp' command, except it does not stop copying when an I/O error is met. Instead, it skips a bit further and continues to copy the rest of the file, as much as possible. dar_cp only accepts full filename (not directory) as argument. The reason of its existence in dar package is that you need it if you use Parchive with dar and have a corruption on a CD-R or any other read-only medium. You need to copy the corrupted slice on a read-write filesystem, for Parchive be able to repair it using slice associated redundancy files. OPTIONS
-h Displays help usage. -V Displays version information. EXIT CODES
dar_cp exists with the following codes: 0 upon normal execution (be some corrupted parted skipped or not) 1 syntax error on command-line 2 could not open source or destination files 3 any other system error met during the copy 5 when some data could not be copied due to I/O error SIGNALS
Any signal sent to dar_cp will abort the program immediately, there is no way to have a proper termination before the end of the process SEE ALSO
dar(1), dar_xform(1), dar_manager(1), dar_slave(1) KNOWN BUGS
None actually. AUTHOR
http://dar.linux.free.fr/ Denis Corbin France Europe 3rd Berkeley Distribution FEB 24th, 2007 DAR_CP(1)