Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding a Unix machine to the domain Post 55604 by Jody on Wednesday 15th of September 2004 01:41:11 PM
Old 09-15-2004
You'll have to use Samba(this is assuming, of course, that the computer in question is going a file server). I believe www.freeos.com has a couple of articles on making Samba file servers part of a domain. This will allow you to give domain permissions to the files on the server in the Samba share

If a file server is not what you have in mind, you will probably experience a lot of frustration. A Linux/Unix computer cannot log into an Active Directory domain. Active Directory does not play well with the Unix shells. Of course, if you aren't going to create a file server, then you wouldn't really need for it to be part of the domain.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unix Domain

hello, how can we create a domain in unix operating systems. By domain i mean which is used to maintain remote user logins and etc. cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX in MS Win2003 Domain

Hi, Can I make a UNIX or LINUX machine a member of MS Active Directory 2003? How? Regards Leo (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teamplay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a host entry on another machine

I have written this small script to add an entry to a remote /etc/hosts file which needs to be run from our central admin box and is passed one parameter $1 <hostname> #!/bin/ksh echo "Which host entry would you like to add to $1" read host_to_add echo "what is the IP address?" read ip ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

5. Linux

Adding linux system into windows domain

Hi i need to add linux system into windows network .Tell me the procedure if anybody know. Thanks & Regards, Veerababu. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veerababu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

help needed to put machine in domain

Hi All, I am working on Solaris sparc 9 and my computer name is mgsun. I want to bring this machine to a specific domain (e.g.-xx.xx.org). So please help me to do the same.. thanks in Advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Adding Domain name n resolv.conf file without vi editor

Hi Guys, I want to add the domain name entry to resolv.conf file. when i use the vi editor to do it the changes are gone after DNS client is being restarted. In Solairs 11 I figured out svccfg command will help to retain the cinfguration. but in linux how do we do that. Also for Solaris are there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikk0508
2 Replies

9. SCO

Machine and domain renaming

HELP! I am running UNIX 7.1.4 and trying to change an existing machines' name, domain, and IP address. Uname -S and the new name changes the name but even when I use netcfg, I can not change the domain and IP. It is like it still thinks it is the old machine. I can not ping the new name or IP but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NC user
3 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -L causes the created home directory to be localized. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X May 31, 2019 Mac OS X