Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backing up or Archiving files in UNIX Post 55507 by Dsartelle on Monday 13th of September 2004 04:47:25 PM
Old 09-13-2004
Question Backing up or Archiving files in UNIX

Hi All,
I am very new to the UNIX world and find myself in a new position at work that requires me to archive large CADD files based in both UNIX and Windows environments on CD's. I have one engineer that wants to export these files as a table (I guess) and it appears to have a lot of paper trails to tie it back to a file. One wants to use the MV command and simply move the files to cd's. What are some of your recommendations?
Thanks,
Dsartelle

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with UNIX Backup/Archiving

I am doing a report for my data communications class on Mac OS X Server/UNIX and I need to know about Archiving/Backup. Is it easy? How do you do it? etc. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backing up files to a remote host question.

I need to know how to successfully back up(and compress) files from a local machine to a remote host. Will this work? tar -cvf backup.tar -C /user/somedir | gzip backup.tar | rsh some.domain.com/user/somedir thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WeNdeL
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What can I ignore when backing up UNIX boxes?

Hi All, Long question and possibly a very short answer.... At work we've just got a new 3rd party backup solution (Netvault by Bakbone -it's v. nice), and I'm currently setting up my UNIX clients as part of the backup schedule. It's just occurred to me that there may be certain files or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geralex
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

automate backing up uploaded files

Hi, We are running FTP Server on UNIX (Solaris 9). Users login and upload (also download) files whenever required. Now, we have to automate the process which makes a copy of every file immediately after it gets uploaded to the FTP server (by any user). I've ruled out rsync,mirror,filesync... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving the files

Hi, Suppose I have 2 files of yesterday's. And today I have received 3 files. Before processing anything I want to archieve the 2 files of yesterday's into a different folder. How can this be done? Regards, Sunitha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue while archiving the files

Hi, In our current process we are reading the file, (which is placed by external vendor)from one particular folder and processing those files through ETL(informatica). We are reading these file as " ls -ltr *.txt" Once the process is finish these files are moved to archived script by "mv"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving older files

Hello Group, I would request your help to build a shell script in order to find files older than 90 days then create the same directory structure under the second disk (/archive directory) and move the file preserving the same timestamps (ownership, etc). Also keep the log of files moved... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Backing up all the files in the subdirectories under a parent directory

Hi, I am not too familiar with Unix scripting but I have to write code to find all the files under all the sub directories under a parent directory of unix location and move them to the corresponding Windows location. For eg: I have \home\sreenu\Files\ Under neath this I have multiple sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj.sreenu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving the files

hi, Am trying to acrhive a bunch of files on some ftp site and somehow managed to come out with the below logic. I'm getting "syntax error: unexpected end of file" error. Interestingly this below snipeet works fine if run for the first time but the subsequent runs fail! Anybody has any idea... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amee5
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expect Script for backing up files on different servers

Hello, I am trying to create an expect script that backups up data from multiple servers with the same username, but with different passwords for each server. For example, I have two servers with the "myuser" account with different passwords for that account for each server. I went ahead and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richw92201
2 Replies
ar86(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ar86(1)

NAME
ar86 - Create, modify, and extract from archive file SYNOPSIS
ar86 operation archive [file...] ar86 positional-op member archive [file...] DESCRIPTION
The ar86 program is used to create, examine and modify archive files produced by the Dev86/ELKS toolchain. OPTIONS
The ar86 command requires that the operation to be performed on the archive be specified as the first option. If the operation is positional then the next option is the archive member marking the position. This is followed by the archive file name and any list of file names. Operations One of the following operations can be specified d delete the listed files from the archive. m move the named files. By default files are moved to the end of the archive unless a positional modifier is present. p print the contents of archive members to standard out. If a file list is included only those members are printed. If the v modifier is present each file's contents are preceeded by a new line, a line with the string member, a space character, the member name, and two following newlines. q quickly add the files to the end of the archive without checking to see if they already exist in the archive. This operation will ignore any positional modifiers. Creates the archive file if it does not exist. r replace archive members with the files listed. If the file name is not present in the archive it is added to the end of the archive (or to any explicitly specified position). Creates the archive file if it does not exist. t table; list the file names of archive members. If a file list is present only those files that are present in the archive are listed. The v modifier prints member attributes. x extract the named files from the archive into the current directory. If no files are specified all the archive members will be extracted. Modifiers The following modifiers may be used with the operations o original time stamps from the archive are preserved for extracted files when possible. s symbol update; this option may be used by itself to force an update to the symbol definition section of the archive (the __.SYMDEF member). If any files are specified they will be replaced as if the r operation had been specified. If no symbol definition section exists one is created. This option will also creates the archive file if it does not exist. u update files in the archive during a r (replace) operation. The files are added to the archive in exactly the same manner as replace except that an existing archive member will be retained (in its original position) if it has a modified more recently than the file being added. Note that this modifier acts as if a r operation has been specified (even it has not), and will actually override any other previously specified operation. v verbose; print additional diagnostic messages while processing the archive. Positional Modifiers The following modifiers specify where in the archive files are moved to or added. If any of these modifiers are specified then the second option to ar86 must be the name of an archive member. a after; files are placed after the specified archive member. b before; files are placed before the specified archive member. i same as b. EXAMPLES
To see the contents of an archive ar86 tv libfile.a To add some files to an archive ar86 r libfile.a file1.o file2.o to add some files after a member named mem.o and to update the symbol table ar86 rsa mem.o libfile.a file1.o file2.o BUGS
A l modifier will be accepted but ignored. RESTRICTIONS
This command is intended for use only with object files created using the Dev86/ELKS toolchain. SEE ALSO
as86(1), bcc(1), ld86(1) AUTHORS
(C) 1988, 1990 Free Software Foundation Inc. Changes for ar86 by Greg Haerr <greg@censoft.com>. COPYRIGHT
The manual page was written for Debian GNU/Linux, (C) 2006 Shyamal Prasad <shyamal@member.fsf.org>. It is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 (or any later version released by the Free Software Foundation). May, 2006 ar86(1)