Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed commands
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed commands Post 55489 by sssow on Monday 13th of September 2004 11:12:47 AM
Old 09-13-2004
You can do inline editing without using a temporary file using perl PIE

perl -p -i -e 's/old/new/' somefile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple sed commands

hello! I have a few sed commands sed '/^$/d' < $1 > tmp.t sed '/^ \{3,\}/d' < tmp.t > tmp1.txt ..... how can I write them in a single line? sed '/^$/d' < $1 > | '/^ \{3,\}/d' < $1 > tmp1.txt any idea? thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining sed commands

I would like to change the lines: originalline1 originalline2 to: originalline1new originalline1newline originalline2new originalline2newline To do this, id like to combine the commands: sed 's/^/&new/g' file > newfile1 and sed '/^/ a\\ newline\\ \\ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave724001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables in sed commands

Hi there, I need to be able to put the hostid of my box into a file (replacing the text "enter_hostid_here" so i tried sed -e 's/enter_hostid_here/`hostid`/g' inputfile > outputfile but it takes the `hostid` literally as text .....how can I get this info into the file (ideally in a single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging sed commands

Hi, I've a shell that uses two sed commands to tailor a file. sed 's/ */ /g' | sed 's/%/%%/g' Is it possible to merge this in to a single sed? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using commands inside sed substitution

Dear Friends, Please let me know how to use the date command inside the substitution flag replacement string. echo "01 Jan 2003:11:00:06 +0100" | sed 's/\(.*\)/`date -d \1 "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`/' I want to supply \1 string to Here mention below as part of replacement string, date -d <Here>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping sed commands

Hello, would you please help me with why my SED command file is outputting the entire input file instead of only the text that I'm trying to block? cat testfile O 111111111-00 DUE-DATE METHOD: FREQUENCY: O 222222222-00 DUE-DATE METHOD: FREQUENCY: O 333333333-02 DUE-DATE METHOD:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lneedh1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested sed commands

Hi, I get the following response by gphoto2 and I would like to substract the index number of the current item. In this case 3. gphoto2 --get-config /main/imgsettings/iso Label: ISO Speed Type: RADIO Current: 200 Choice: 0 100 Choice: 1 125 Choice: 2 160 Choice: 3 200 Choice: 4 250 ..... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nic2015
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for sed commands to add some strings

Hi All, I have one file which has contents as following. I have now to add some strings into this file. In below there is a "Description" field, and I have to look line by line and as the description contents will be finished, I have to add the string "Hello world" followed by a TAB. So before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wridler
2 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)