Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Home Network Storage Solution. Post 55430 by Merlyn on Sunday 12th of September 2004 09:21:25 AM
Old 09-12-2004
MySQL

Hey, thanks again Mox!!

A SNAP Server is a ready to go network storage add-on all-in-one HDD/OS/NIC appliance. I think they use a UNIX OS in the background to run it. Basically it allows you to go out and buy this ready to go appliance and simply plug it into your network. It comes in different storage capacities and is managed via IP Address (Web Browser). Normally found in medium to larger networks. It would probably come under the category of NAS (Network Attached Storage). It also allows pods of these appliances to be managed centrally.

To be honest I understand the concept better than I know this actual product. This particular product is a HP brand Name - "SNAP" (I think).

Hope that kinda explains it.

Merlyn

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Solaris

Seeking suggestion of small storage solution

Hi, We have 4 T5220 servers, which are currently connected to Hitachi SAN storage solution. This is old SAN, so we are going to decommission it. At this location, there is no other SAN and no other servers, which requires SAN solution. So we are thinking of a small and cheap storage solution,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
3 Replies
NETWORKS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       NETWORKS(5)

NAME
networks -- network name data base DESCRIPTION
The networks file contains information regarding the known networks which comprise the DARPA Internet. For each network a single line should be present with the following information: official network name network number aliases Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. A ``#'' indicates the beginning of a comment; characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. This file is normally created from the official network data base maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), though local changes may be required to bring it up to date regarding unofficial aliases and/or unknown networks. Network numbers may be specified in the conventional ``.'' (dot) notation using the inet_network(3) routine from the Internet address manipu- lation library, inet(3). Network names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, newline, or comment character. FILES
/etc/networks The networks file resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
getnetent(3) HISTORY
The networks file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
A name server should be used instead of a static file. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD