Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Home Network Storage Solution. Post 55410 by Merlyn on Saturday 11th of September 2004 10:53:14 AM
Old 09-11-2004
Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All...

I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated.

I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only.

Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC.

As I understand it, it would go as follows.

1. Use/Install UNIX (or a version there of) on the P2 200 (I think that's what it is?)
2. Network it.
3. use it.

Does it matter that the PC is so low end its scary and will UNIX help overcome the performance deficit i will encounter?

Any suggestions at all are welcome, need to sort something out asap, have real storage issues!

Have a good one!

Merlyn

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Solaris

Seeking suggestion of small storage solution

Hi, We have 4 T5220 servers, which are currently connected to Hitachi SAN storage solution. This is old SAN, so we are going to decommission it. At this location, there is no other SAN and no other servers, which requires SAN solution. So we are thinking of a small and cheap storage solution,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
3 Replies
RDF::Redland::Storage(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				RDF::Redland::Storage(3pm)

NAME
RDF::Redland::Storage - Redland RDF Storage Class SYNOPSIS
use RDF::Redland; my $storage=new RDF::Redland::Storage("hashes", "test", "new='yes',hash-type='memory'"); ... DESCRIPTION
Create objects for storing RDF::Redland::Model objects either persistently or in memory. CONSTRUCTORS
new STORAGE_NAME [NAME [OPTIONS_STRING]] Create a new RDF::Redland::Storage object for the storage factory named STORAGE_NAME with storage named NAME and storage options OPTIONS_STRING which are specific to the storage factory type. The storage options may be given either as a Perl hash or as a string. The string form are formatted in the form key1='value1',key2='value2' and the single quotes are required. The Perl hash form follows normal Perl conventions, and the boolean options use normal Perl concepts of truth. Currently defined storage options: new='yes' Create a new storage erasing any existing one (boolean, default). write='yes' Provide write access to store (boolean, default) otherwise is read only. dir='DIR' Work in DIR directory when creating files. mode='MODE' File creation mode, default is (octal) 0644 Takes decimal(123), hex(0x123) or octal(0123). contexts='yes' Enable statement contexts. Each statement can be stored with an optional context Node and the context retrieved after queries. Boolean. hash-type='TYPE' (hashes storage only) Use the TYPE hash-type for hashes storage. Current defined types are 'memory' and 'bdb' but is dependent on the hash factories available. index-predicates='yes' (hashes storage only) Enable indexing from predicates to (subject,object) which can in particular be useful for rdf:type relations. Boolean. bulk='no' (mysql storage only) Whether model/storage method add_statements should be optimized, until a model/storage sync operation. Boolean. merge='no' (mysql storage only) Whether to maintain a table with merged models. Boolean. Example, string form: $storage=new RDF::Redland::Storage("hashes", "test", "new='yes',hash-type='bdb',dir='.'"); Example, Perl hash form: $storage=new RDF::Redland::Storage("hashes", "test", {new=>1,hash-type=>'bdb',dir=>'.'}); Creates a new storage of the hashes type (indexed hashes) named test (these will be file names or URIs if the storage is persistent) and with options new='yes',hash-type='bdb',dir='.' so a new storage is created with BerkeleyDB (BDB) key:value hashes i.e. persistent and in the current directory. Example, Perl hash form: $storage=new RDF::Redland::Storage("mysql", "test", {host=>'localhost',database=>'testdb',user=>'testuser',new=>0,password=>'',contexts=>1}); Uses an existing storage of the mysql type, named test on localhost with database name testdb using a user testuser and no password. Contexts are enabled. new_from_storage STORAGE Create a new RDF::Redland::Storage object from RDF::Redland::Storage STORAGE (copy constructor). The new storage may have a new name chosen by the storage factory. SEE ALSO
RDF::Redland::Model AUTHOR
Dave Beckett - http://www.dajobe.org/ perl v5.14.2 2011-02-04 RDF::Redland::Storage(3pm)