Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris cp a dty without symbolic links? Post 55370 by JAKEZ on Friday 10th of September 2004 05:48:56 AM
Old 09-10-2004
cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi,

- we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty

- the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that?

thanks for help
Jakez

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding symbolic links

How can I find all symbolic links across the network to a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehtad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links for a File

how do i get the list of symbolic link names for a particular file programatically (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_u_n_1234
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many levels of symbolic links

Hi, Is there a limit to the number of symbolic links you can have? I tried to vi the symbolic link relating to a file and got the following error: "filename" Too many levels of symbolic links There is only one symbolic link to one file in this case, but there are >2000 other links to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

4. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links between directories

Hi all, lets consider 2 directories test1 and test2. I want to link test2 to point to test1, how do u do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
4 Replies

6. Solaris

symbolic links between servers

Hi Guys... I want to create a link using ln -s for a directory that does not exist on the box. How do I do that? I had some files from Box A directory /d1/u01 and I copied the files across to another Box lets say Box B on directory /d2/u02. Now I want a link so that this path /d1/u01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissioning for symbolic links

I've just started using UNIX in a Linux vmplayer. I'm trying to run the command: ln -s `pwd`/$1 `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"`/$1 in a script from an online tutorial, but I keep getting an error message: ln: creating symbolic link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChipT
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links in UNIX

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 layers of soft links for it. For ex. ls -la .profile .profile@ -> /home/act/.profile_abc ls -la /home/act/.profile_abc@ -> .profile_final I want to get the name of the last file (i.e. .profile_final) when I refer to .profile using shell script. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies
cpio(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   cpio(1)

Name
       cpio - copy file archives in and out

Syntax
       cpio -i [ -C ] [keys] [patterns]

cpio -o [keys]

cpio -p [keys] directory

Description
       The  command  is  a filter designed to let you copy files to or from an archive.  The command differs from the command in that lets you ar-
       chive any kind of file, while is limited to program object files.

Options
       -i   Copies files that match the specified pattern.  If the pattern is not specified, copies in all files.  Extracts files from	the  stan-
	    dard  input,  which  is  assumed to be the product of a previous cpio -o, and places them into the user's current directory tree.  For
	    files with the same name, the newer file replaces the older file unless the -u option is used.

Only files with names that match patterns are selected.  The patterns are specified using the notation for names described in In  pat-
	    terns,  the  slash	for  directories (/) is included in searches using meta-characters.  For example, suppose the archive contains the
	    file and the pathname information in the archive indicates that the directory below contains the file This command copies  both  files
	    into the user's current directory:
	    cpio -i *p < /dev/rmt0l

Multiple  patterns	may be specified and if no patterns are specified, the default for patterns is * (that is, select all files).  The
	    extracted files are conditionally created and copied into the current directory tree based upon the options described below.  The com-
	    mand has three function keys, each with its own set of options.

-C   Specifies  compatability mode for reading archives created with the old style header format.  Use this option to copy in archives gen-
	    erated by pre-V4.2 This option is valid only for copy-in (-i) operations.

-o   Copies out the specified files.  Reads the standard input to obtain a list of path names and copies those files onto the standard out-
	    put together with path name and status information.

-p   Copies  files  into  the specified destination directory, which must already exist.  Reads the standard input to obtain a list of path
	    names of files that are conditionally created.  This list of files is copied into  the  destination  directory  tree  based  upon  the
	    options used.  For files with the same name, the newer file replaces the older file unless the -u option is used.

Keys
       6    Processes a file with the UNIX System Sixth Edition format.

a    Retains  original  access  times  of  input  files, and can be used with -o and -p.  Normally, the read(s) used in the copy update the
	    copied file's access time.

B    Determines input/output is to be blocked 5,120 bytes to the record.  This option is meaningful only with data directed to or from or

b    Swaps both bytes and halfwords.

c    Creates header information in ASCII format and can be used with -i and -o.

d    Creates subdirectories, as needed, below the specified destination directory.

f    Copies all files except those that match the specified pattern.

k    Enables symbolic link handling and is used with the -i, -o, and -p options.

l    Creates links wherever possible.

m    Retains modification time for each copied file.  This option does not work on directories or symbolic links that are being copied; the
	    directory is always reset to show the access time when the copy was made.

r    Interactively renames files.  If you respond with a null line, the file is skipped (not copied).  Use only with the -i option.

s    Swaps bytes while copying files in.

S    Swaps half words while copying files in.

t    Prints a table of contents of the input (no files are created).

u    Copies files unconditionally.  (Otherwise, an older file will not replace a newer file with the same name).

v    Displays  detailed	(verbose)  information as it copies and/or creates file.  When used with the t option, the table of contents looks
	    like the output of an ls -l command.  For further information, see

Examples
       This example shows how to copy the contents of the user's current directory into an archive.
       ls | cpio -o  > /dev/rmt0l
       This example shows how to duplicate a directory hierarchy.
       mkdir ~phares/newdir
       cd ~phares/olddir
       find . -print | cpio -pdl ~phares/newdir
       This example shows how to copy all files and directories with names containing the characters "chapter" in user smith's home directory  and
       underlying directories.
       find ~smith -name '*chapter*' -print | cpio -o > /dev/rmt0h
       This example shows the results of using the r option with the -i function key.
       ls | cpio -ir > ~smith/newdir
       Rename <file1>
       newnamefile1
       Rename <file2>
       <RETURN>
       Skipped
       Rename <file3>
       newnamefile3
       In  some  cases,  the  -cpio  option of the command can be used more effectively than pipes and redirects using For instance, the following
       example
       find . -print | cpio -oB > /dev/rmt0l
       can be handled more efficiently by:
       find . -cpio /dev/rmt0l
       To copy the contents of a directory (with symbolic link handling enabled) to the tape drive, type:
       ls | cpio -ok > /dev/rmt0h
       To restore the archived files back into a directory, type:
       cpio -ik < /dev/rmt0h
       The following example moves files, including symbolic links, from an old directory to a new directory:
       mkdir ~craig/newdir
       cd ~craig/olddir
       ls | cpio -pdk ~craig/newdir

Restrictions
       Pathnames are restricted to 128 characters.

When there are too many unique linked files, the program runs out of memory and cannot trace them.  In this case,  linking  information	is
       lost.

Only the superuser can copy special files.

See Also
       ar(1), find(1), cpio(5)

cpio(1)