Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Generating core dumps
Operating Systems Solaris Generating core dumps Post 55247 by handak9 on Tuesday 7th of September 2004 09:53:14 AM
Old 09-07-2004
Generating core dumps

I have the following set up on a Sun server running solaris 5.8 for core dump generation

[rss10@jsh1035c:JSDISC01] coreadm
global core file pattern: /var/core
init core file pattern: /var/core
global core dumps: enabled
per-process core dumps: enabled
global setid core dumps: disabled
per-process setid core dumps: disabled
global core dump logging: enabled

[rss10@jsh1035c:JSDISC01] ulimit -a
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) 8192
coredump(blocks) 10000000
nofiles(descriptors) 256
vmemory(kbytes) unlimited

I have even run the command coreadm -p core.%f.%p $$, but have had no luck it managing to create a core file.

I am testing the generation with the following simple C program

int main ()
{
int c;
c=9/0;
}

This will cause a core dump (i am 99% certain), but alas not for me.

Anyone got any suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reading core dumps

Does anyone know how to read core dumps. Is gdb the only tool for it ? The OS is Solaris. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntan
2 Replies

2. Programming

strcmp core dumps

hi everyone, Right now when I do: strcmp(s1, s2); i get a core dump because at times s1 or s2 can be nothing so that makes strcmp() core dump. What is the solution, if at times I expect one of them (or both) to be NULL? I want to be able to compare that s1 is NULL and s2 is "blah" or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annie
6 Replies

3. SCO

SCO 5.07 Panic / Core Dumps

Anyone know how you go about interrogating a panic / core dump with crash for SCO Unix (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccarcher
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using GDB to analyse different CORE dumps

Hi, Can we modify the GDB source code so as to analyze core dumps from different targets? From my analysis, I think we need to build our section table statically for each target. i.e., including the various address boundaries in build_section_table() function. If this is the case, then the GDB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsdeeps
2 Replies

5. Programming

AIX core dumps

My program is not dumping core when hitting a segmentation violation inside a thread. However, it dumps core when the segv occurs within main. Any ideas on how to diagnose this? AIX 5.3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean66
4 Replies

6. Solaris

core dumps

i had a situation where a process was defunct. preap would not reap the process and gcore would not work properly (not sure why). therefore, the suggestion was to force a panic and collect the core dump. obviously you could do a savecore -L and capture the dump without bringing down the system.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

enabling core dumps for daemon processes

Hello, I am debugging a program which works as daemon. It sigfaults, unfortunately I'm unable to generate core dump file. Here is what I am doing: tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ ulimit -c unlimited tsurko@bastila:~$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep 'core_pattern'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tsurko
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

generating core dumps

Hi I have a Fedora installed and I try to generate my application's core dump file. My system has no coredump limit: $ ulimit core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited But when my application crashes no core dumps generated. I can generate dump file using gcore but it is not appropraite... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

9. Programming

Stack only core dumps

I'm working on a program in Linux with a group of people scattered around the country. When we have a crash, I like to send a core dump to the appropriate person so that they can understand the problem better. The problem is that our application uses several gigabytes worth of data and these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmsterner
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Generate core dumps

kill -SEGV <pid> gives me the core file for that process but also terminates the process. Can I not get the core dump without terminating the process ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
coreadm(1M)															       coreadm(1M)

NAME
coreadm - core file administration SYNOPSIS
pattern] pattern] option] option] [pid...] [pid...] [arguments] [pid...] DESCRIPTION
The command is used for user space application core file management by specifying the name and the location of core files for abnormally terminating processes. See core(4). The command can be used to control system wide and process specific core file placement. The path and pattern is used by the operating system when generating a core file. The first form shown in can be used to control system wide core file settings or specify a pattern for init(1M). System administration privilege is required to change global core file settings. Global core file setting, including the setting for init(1M), is preserved across system reboot. Non-privileged users can change per-process core file settings for processes owned by that user. The real or the effective user ID of the calling process must match the real or the saved user ID of the receiving process unless the effective user ID of the calling process is a user who as appropriate privileges. A core file name pattern is a normal file system path name with embedded variables, specified with a leading character, that are expanded from values in effect when a core file is generated by the operating system. An expanded pattern over will be truncated to The possible pattern variables are: Options The following options are supported for Disable or enable the specified core file option. The and options can only be exercised with root privilege. The valid options for and are: Allow (or disallow) core dumps using the global core pattern. Allow (or disallow) core dumps using the per-process core pattern. Allow (or disallow) core dumps using the global core pattern for processes. Allow (or disallow) core dumps using the process core pattern for processes. Set the global core file name pattern to pattern. The pattern must start with an absolute path name which exists and can contain any of the special % variables described in the section. This option can only be exercised by the super-user. This is identical to specifying a per-process pattern only that the setting is applied to init(1M) and is preserved across reboot. Set the per-process core file name pattern to pattern for each of the specified process-ID's. The pattern can contain any of the special variables described in and need not begin with If it does not begin with the core file name will be evaluated relative to the current working directory at the time of core file creation. This option can be used by non-privileged users to specify core file settings for processes owned by that user. Super-users can apply it to any process. The per-process core file will be inherited by the future child processes of the affected pro- cesses. See fork(2). This option, when invoked without a PID will apply the settings to the calling process (usually the invoking shell). This option is used in conjunction with The option will execute the command specified with the per-process pattern that was specified with This option can be used to enable or disable core file creation for the target process. As an example, a user may choose to add the disable in the shell startup script to avoid creation of core files by that user. EXAMPLES
The following examples assume that the user has appropriate privilege. 1. To examine the current core file settings: $ coreadm global core file pattern: init(1M) core file pattern: global core dumps: disabled per-process core dumps: enabled global setid core dumps: disabled per-process setid core dumps: disabled 2. Set global core file settings to include process-ID and machine name and place the core file in the location $ coreadm -e global -g /mnt/cores/core.%p.%n A process with PID 1777 on the machine breaker will generate a core file in as (in addition to the core file generated in the CWD of PID 1777). 3. Examine the per process core file settings for process-IDs 1777 and 1778 $ coreadm 1777 1778 1777: core.%p.%u 1778: /nethome/gandalf/core/core.%f.%p.%t 4. A user can disable creation of core files completely by specifying in the shell startup file (for example, $ coreadm -P disable $$ $ coreadm $$ 1157: (Disabled) WARNINGS
The output format of may change without notice. Applications parsing the output, should not rely on the compatibility of the output format between releases. SEE ALSO
umask(1), init(1M), coreadm(2), core(4). coreadm(1M)