Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux would like to hook up linux system to another computer! Post 55118 by moxxx68 on Thursday 2nd of September 2004 01:10:53 PM
Old 09-02-2004
can do ! but can't quite catch the process..

dear zazzy appreciate the help,
but what I am looking for is somwehat a little simpler if possible something that I can run spontaneously without haaving to fiddle around wtth IP addresses and so on.. an example! :
on my desk top when I want to access windows to access a files system that holds the converted files from the psion 5mx databse I just mount on root filesystem /Windows and take it from there.. when I am done umount.. and this is the command I use!
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /Windows
and
umount hda1
simple..
now i am thinking that there is a way to connect straight from one hard drive to the other using a usb cable or an ordinary ?pin cable and just write in a command to mount one filesystem from a one hardrive to another filesystem on the other hard drive without having to go through lan or any of that dificulty...
....yours truly moxx68 ..
must find an answer..
thanx!Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

File System Hook

Background: DEDS is used to exchange files between Our Client and outside world. It is running on Sun v480 server OS 5.8. The files can come into or go out from various directories configured for various interfaces and come from both Our Client side as well as outside world. Requirement: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdhana
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Linux to get for home computer?

the most popular ones on distrowatch seems to be PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora. any tips, suggestions you can give this super newb about choosing something? i'd like to do a dual boot. Unfortuately my laptop's only got a single hard drive and it's only got half a gig of ram. Will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
6 Replies

3. Linux

i want to install linux on my computer, but worried about viruses

hi guys, I am new to linux. I want to install it on my home computer. I have a few questions. 1) if an exploit is found on linux, how long is it before it gets patched up? My worry is that because there are not many linux users, if a big is found, then it will be a long time before others... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

4. Fedora

On Installing Multiple Linux Distros on a Computer

Guys, I was planning to install Ubuntu, Fedora and Backtrack on the same computer (along with Windows 7). My Specifications are: 2.67 Core i5 4GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB HDD I have a system running Windows 7 with 3 partitions (240, 130, 130) GBs. And I was planning on freeing out 30GB of space and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hMeU
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Manufacturer name of computer system(hardware) , processor

Hi All, Can someone let me know the method or set of commands by which i can retrive manufacturer name of computer system (hardware of machine ) and manufacturer of processor. i get below information when fired psrinfo command : psrinfo -vp The physical processor has 1 virtual processor... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to run a Windows Setup on a Linux computer?

I am looking to run a Windows utility BitRecover PST Viewer. To help me read a pst file. Can anybody guide me how can I run this Windows utility on Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marktux
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Remote access computer system as a whole not just desktop with GUI

Hi All, I've been looking at various options at administering several servers remotely like: - VNC (don't like the lax security of 8 characters max for a password) and - NX (awesome piece of kit but still limited to a per desktop viewer)... What I'm looking for is a GUI that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)