Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xterm gives me permission denied error Post 55079 by kymberm on Wednesday 1st of September 2004 03:10:20 PM
Old 09-01-2004
xterm gives me permission denied error

When I try to run xterm at a command prompt in solaris 2.5.1, i'm getting a permission denied error. But the directory and user permissions look ok, they are part of a users group and then also root,sys,adm so what gives? Any ideas? Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm Permission Denied error

I am very new to Unix. We have a script that will remove files from a directory. The account removing the files has the same permissions as the directory the files are located. We have logged in as the account and deleted the files from that directory but when we run the script with the account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cech2002
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getcwd: permission denied error

When I do a 'cd /appl' and issue 'ls -al' command, I get the following error for .. directory. ./..: Permission denied But still I get a listing of other directories under /appl. Also, if I give 'man' for any command under this /appl folder, I get the following error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with Couldn't canonicalise: Permission denied error

Hi People I am getting this error Couldn't canonicalise: Permission denied. Anyone knows what does this error mean ? It all started when my team members were testing Sftp functions on some directories and they were hitting directory no found errors within their scripts. So when we enquired... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsontan
8 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Permission Denied Error with X11

Hello, I am using Tiger 10.4.11 I am trying out the GIMP, so I installed the X11 package from "Optional Installs" on the cd. Whenever I open X11, I get an error: xterm: could not exec /dev/null: Permission denied I have chmodded /dev/null to 777, as well as the /tmp directory. I deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricardo-san
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change: xecho: execute permission denied error

Hello, I am have an issues with one of my scripts. I get the following error when I get to the point in the script where I am making the change. The change does take however. the error is "change: xecho: execute permission denied" Everything was working properly until I start cleaning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsonjr
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Error 0403-006 Execute permission denied.

Hi All, Need your help.. I am writing one script in which I am assigning value to one variable but when i am executing it is showing error "0403-006 Execute permission denied" below is the line of that script : INPUT_COUNT=wc $GIF_DIR/input/VID_RIMS.DAT | awk '{print $1}' and access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NirajThakar
2 Replies

7. AIX

SSH Error - Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive)

Hello, I'm trying to setup password less authentication to remote ssh server. I generated the public key and gave it to the vendor and The key is added in the remote machines authorized_keys file. When I try to connect to a remote machine through SFTP username@host I am getting the error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nice_chapp
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Webserver permission denied error

Hello, I was trying a perl-cgi tutorial and saving the data from online form to a file named (guests.txt). I am using the localhost port 80 for practice. My page file "guestbook.html" is working as I saw the online form. After filled out the blanks and submit, I was expecting to see the result... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Permission denied error using chmod on a cifs mount

I have a RHEL 5.7 system with a cifs mount from a Windows 2007 file server that I need to fix the permissions on. Once the share is mounted the permission for the mount are 777. I need to change that to 770 on the top level directory and to 640 on the sub-directory .ssh/. But when I run chmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe, permission denied error

Hello, I am trying to stream lines written into file. When first source is down, I expect the code to swap to second line and run it. Script below works as usual and it prints out each line of the input file (s.txt): #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do echo "$line" done <"$1" exit 0Output... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
getacl(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getacl(1)

NAME
getacl - list access control lists (ACLs) for files (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, displays the owner, group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, displays the owner, group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directories contain default ACLs. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the file will be displayed. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists, will be displayed. With options not specified, the filename, owner, group, and both the ACL, and the default ACL, if it exists, will be displayed. This command may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It will report the ACL consisting of only the owning user, own- ing group, class and other entries, based on the permission bits. When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line will separate the ACL for each file. Options The command recognizes the following options: Displays the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the specified file. Displays the the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. Operands The command recognizes the following operand: file The file or directory from which retrieves the access control information. ACL Format The format of an ACL is: The first three lines show the filename, the file owner, and the file owning group. Note that when only the option is specified, and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines will be displayed. The entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owner of the file. One or more additional entries indi- cate the permissions that will be granted to the specified users. The entry without a group identifier indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owning group of the file. One or more additional entries indicate the permissions that will be granted to the specified groups. The entry indicates the permissions that will be granted to others. The entries and may only exist for directories, and indicate the default user, group, and other entries that will be added to a file cre- ated within the directory. The uid is a login name, or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system's password file; gid is a group name, or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system's group file; and perm is a three character string composed of the letters representing the separate discretionary access rights: (read), (write), (execute/search), or the placeholder character The perm will be displayed in the following order: If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the placeholder character will appear. The ACL entries will be displayed in the order in which they will be evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The file owner permission bits represent the access that the owning user ACL entry has. The file group class permission bits represent the most access that any additional user entry, additional group entry, or the owning group entry may grant. The file other permission bits represent the access that the other ACL entry has. If a user invokes the command and changes the file group class permission bits, the access granted by the additional ACL entries may be restricted. In order to indicate that the file group class permission bits restrict an ACL entry, will display, after each affected entry, text in the form , where perm will show only the permissions actually granted. EXAMPLES
Given file with an ACL six entries long, the command would print: Given file with an ACL six entries long, after the command was issued, the command would print: Given directory with an ACL containing default entries, the command would print: Given directory the command would print: NOTICES
The output from will be in the correct format for input to the command. If the output from is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. FILES
for user IDs for group IDs SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setacl(1). acl(2), aclsort(3C). getacl(1)