Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remote printer with ip.
Special Forums IP Networking remote printer with ip. Post 5506 by patito on Wednesday 15th of August 2001 05:02:25 PM
Old 08-15-2001
Tools remote printer with ip.

Hello gurus.

I need to print in a computer client.

I use telnet to connect to my sco server, and I want to print in my local client printer with lp -d local_client_printer file1. I use XLPD in my local machine. Well, I want to add another printer like that.

Where can I found information about that. I know that I need to edit /etc/printcap and add a directory at /usr/spool/lpd. And add the ip-host at /etc/hosts.

In my server I did that and It worked well. But I have another server that does not have the directory /usr/spool/lpd, so I just created it. But the printer does not work.

Thanks Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner on remote printer

Hi all, i have a Sun Solaris server ( Sun OS 5.5.1 ) , and few windows machines accessing it using exceed humming bird software ( 6.1 ). I have a EPSON printer connected to one of the PCs, and I am using Exceed LPD daemon for printing. Whenever I trigger a print command from Sun server,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
2 Replies

2. AIX

remote printer

please, i would like to know ,how can i use a remote printer shared by a jet direct or which strg may use to connect with a remote printer using ip and windows network (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erwinpina
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to disable remote printer

Hi all, On Solaris 8.2 I have several printers controled via LPD so they are defined with systemnames. The problem is I can't disable them as I could in Unix V with the disable command. Is there a way to do this however? Thank in advance! :) Peter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulnul7
2 Replies

4. AIX

how to setup a remote printer in aix 5.2

how to setup a remote printer in aix 5.2 i have an aix 5.2 os and need to setup a remote printer off of it need help on how it is done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itivanh
2 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to set remote printer in AIX

Hi all, I am a beginner in AIX. I am facing a problem with remote printing in AIX. HP laser jet 1320 printer is connected to a printer server (PCI Mini - 100U3), which is configured as remote printer from AIX server. But I am not able to print from the AIX server by using "lp -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rainy
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 setup remote printer queue help

I am trying to setup a remote printer (home users printer) through Solaris 8. The IP address is 172.16.17.10 and I can ping the printer, a local windows printer queue has been setup and works but now I am trying to setup a remote Unix printer queue. With this being a remote printer, do I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

7. AIX

Error - Creation remote printer

Guy's I'm trying to configure new remote printer by smitty in AIX 6.1 but I'm facing below message ! and creating did not completed ... can you please help in this ! Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. digest:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remote printer service

The IT auditors have pointed some of my boxes (SUSE, Solaris 10 and AIX) have remote printer service running and that is a potent security violation. I am confused what is remote printer service and how do I disable the same. I need the help. A prompt response is appreciable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranasarkar
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Remote printer setup on solaris 10 host

Hi All, I am trying setup a remote printer on a solaris 10 server. The printer is online and working fine is solaris 8. I have added the pritner to /etc/hosts file and /etc/printers.conf ... I need to know followings: 1. How do I find the default pritner port on the old solaris machine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

To change of remote printer font style

How can I change the remote printer font style as its been printing in a non readable format. Is it possible to change it from the server console. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
0 Replies
lp(1)							      General Commands Manual							     lp(1)

Name
       lp - send requests to an LP line printer

Syntax
       lp [-c] [-d dest] [-n number] [-] [files]

Description
       The command arranges for the named files and associated information (collectively called a request) to be printed by a line printer.  If no
       file names are mentioned, the standard input is assumed.  When a file name is designated by a minus sign (-) it	stands	for  the  standard
       input  and may be supplied on the command line in conjunction with named files.	The order in which files appear is the same order in which
       they are printed.

This command exists for X/OPEN compatibility.

Options
       The following options to may appear in any order and may be intermixed with file names:

-c	   Makes copies of the files to be printed immediately when is invoked.  Normally, files are not copied, but are  linked  whenever
		   possible.  If the -c option is not given, then the user should be careful not to remove any of the files before the request has
		   been printed in its entirety.  It should also be noted that without the -c option, any changes made to the  named  files  after
		   the request is made but before it is printed are reflected in the printed output.

-d dest	   Chooses  dest  as  the  printer that is to do the printing.	If dest is a printer, then the request is printed on that specific
		   printer.  By default, dest is taken from the environment variable PRINTER if it is set.  Otherwise, a default destination,  lp,
		   is used.

-n number   Prints number copies (default of 1) of the output.

Files
       /etc/passwd	      personal identification
       /etc/printcap	      printer capabilities data base
       /usr/lib/lpd*	      line printer daemons
       /usr/spool/*	      directories used for spooling
       /usr/spool/*/cf*       daemon control files
       /usr/spool/*/df*       data files specified in cf files
       /usr/spool/*/tf*       temporary copies of cf files

See Also
       lpq(1), lpr(1), lprm(1), pr(1), symlink(2), printcap(2), lpc(8), lpd(8)

lp(1)