Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX Post 54754 by Perderabo on Monday 23rd of August 2004 11:51:57 AM
Old 08-23-2004
cd /etc
cp nsswitch.files nsswitch.conf

would be a good starting point.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DT messaging could not be started

this id the message i get with a suggestions to check those files: /etc/src.sh /etc/hosts /usr/adm/inetd.sec i have little knowledge of hoe to edit those files/ i went to the etc library and didn't found src.sh file. what should i do? also didn't find the inetd.sec file In the host... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirp
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE problem - The DT messaging system could not be started

A Google search with: +Solaris +"The DT messaging system could not be started" returns 138 hits. All of the relevant possible solutions are in this document. My apologies for such a long document but I thought I would try to minimize the resolution attempts that I've already tried. System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpollard001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

How to Get Started on Ubuntu Desktop for the first time

Hello Everyone, I have been using RHEL from quite a while now on server system, but now i also want to use Linux as my Desktop/Laptop OS on my personal computer. So i downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 yeserday as i have read alot about it being the most popular Linux Desktop OS. So guys could you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting started with windows and screens without desktop environment

Hi there, Hope the title is sufficiently self explaining. I have no idea how to start and where to start. I don't even know what keywords to google for. I need to build a machine : based on Debian without desktop environment with a quite powerful multi-monitor graphic card able to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX

Hi, I have a HP UX C8000 box , have installed 11.11i from 4 x cds numerous times to try to get a functioning Network or to try and get rid of this error on start up, after new install and 1st startup I get an error "The desktop messaging system could not be started" and then advice about... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C8000
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
update-desktop-database(1)					   User Commands					update-desktop-database(1)

NAME
update-desktop-database - Desktop file caching utility SYNOPSIS
update-desktop-database [--help] [--verbose] [--quiet] [filepath] DESCRIPTION
update-desktop-database creates cache files for desktop file MIME type mapping for improved MIME lookup performance. It expects to be given the path to a directory or directories containing a number of application installed .desktop files, e.g. /usr/share/applications, and writes a mime-info.cache containing cached information about the MIME types that each application can handle. If no directory is provided, this utility will use a default directory list as specified in the FreeDesktop MIME specification. This cache file is used to avoid a lot of system call and disk seek overhead in a number of applications. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -?, --help Show help options. -v, --verbose Turn on verbose output. -q, --quiet Do not provide any output. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filepath The path to a directory or directories containing a number of application installed .desktop files. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully 1 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/update-desktop-databaseThe command-line executable for the application. /usr/share/applications System desktop file directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-prefs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
update-mime-database(1), gnome-desktop-item-edit(1), attributes(5), gnome-interfaces(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide and GNOME System Administration Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2007. SunOS 5.11 31 Jan 2007 update-desktop-database(1)