Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX Post 54746 by Perderabo on Monday 23rd of August 2004 10:39:41 AM
Old 08-23-2004
If you want /etc/hosts to work, you may need to modify the "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf. What to put depends on your setup. But maybe "files dns" would be right for you.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DT messaging could not be started

this id the message i get with a suggestions to check those files: /etc/src.sh /etc/hosts /usr/adm/inetd.sec i have little knowledge of hoe to edit those files/ i went to the etc library and didn't found src.sh file. what should i do? also didn't find the inetd.sec file In the host... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirp
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE problem - The DT messaging system could not be started

A Google search with: +Solaris +"The DT messaging system could not be started" returns 138 hits. All of the relevant possible solutions are in this document. My apologies for such a long document but I thought I would try to minimize the resolution attempts that I've already tried. System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpollard001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

How to Get Started on Ubuntu Desktop for the first time

Hello Everyone, I have been using RHEL from quite a while now on server system, but now i also want to use Linux as my Desktop/Laptop OS on my personal computer. So i downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 yeserday as i have read alot about it being the most popular Linux Desktop OS. So guys could you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting started with windows and screens without desktop environment

Hi there, Hope the title is sufficiently self explaining. I have no idea how to start and where to start. I don't even know what keywords to google for. I need to build a machine : based on Debian without desktop environment with a quite powerful multi-monitor graphic card able to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX

Hi, I have a HP UX C8000 box , have installed 11.11i from 4 x cds numerous times to try to get a functioning Network or to try and get rid of this error on start up, after new install and 1st startup I get an error "The desktop messaging system could not be started" and then advice about... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C8000
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
NSS-MYHOSTNAME(8)						  nss-myhostname						 NSS-MYHOSTNAME(8)

NAME
nss-myhostname - Provide hostname resolution for the locally configured system hostname. SYNOPSIS
nss-myhostname.la DESCRIPTION
nss-myhostname is a plugin for the GNU Name Service Switch (NSS) functionality of the GNU C Library (glibc) providing hostname resolution for the locally configured system hostname as returned by gethostname(2). Various software relies on an always-resolvable local hostname. When using dynamic hostnames, this is usually achieved by patching /etc/hosts at the same time as changing the host name. This however is not ideal since it requires a writable /etc file system and is fragile because the file might be edited by the administrator at the same time. nss-myhostname simply returns all locally configured public IP addresses, or, if none are configured, the IPv4 address 127.0.0.2 (which is on the local loopback) and the IPv6 address ::1 (which is the local host) for whatever system hostname is configured locally. Patching /etc/hosts is thus no longer necessary. To activate the NSS modules, myhostname has to be added to the line starting with "hosts:" in /etc/nsswitch.conf It is recommended to put myhostname last in the nsswitch.conf line to make sure that this mapping is only used as fallback, and any DNS or /etc/hosts based mapping takes precedence. EXAMPLE
# /etc/nsswitch.conf passwd: compat group: compat shadow: compat hosts: files dns myhostname networks: files protocols: db files services: db files ethers: db files rpc: db files netgroup: nis To test, use glibc's getent tool: $ getent ahosts `hostname` ::1 STREAM omega ::1 DGRAM ::1 RAW 127.0.0.2 STREAM 127.0.0.2 DGRAM 127.0.0.2 RAW In this case the local hostname is omega. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-logind.service(8), logind.conf(5), loginctl(1), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8), pam_loginuid(8) systemd 208 NSS-MYHOSTNAME(8)