Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Russian font in Unix
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Russian font in Unix Post 54625 by vrvarier on Thursday 19th of August 2004 01:50:27 PM
Old 08-19-2004
Question

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.
Let me be more specific in this. I have the russian font, and mapped my keyboard to russian. I'm able to see this font in Windows XP, but when I login to unix, and try to type in my user id and password to login, I just dont see the characters and it does'nt allow me login.

How will I customise unix for russian fonts.

Regards,
Venu.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different font size in Unix and Window

Hi, i will like to enquire whether anybody got encountered this problem before. When i try to print a report in pdf from window to the printer the size is what i want but when i batch print from Unix , calling a batch job the report that are generated out from the printer is of bigger font , why is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueberry80
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the font colour in unix ?

Could you pls tell me how to change the font colour in unix ? What is the syntax ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to change font and colour in mail sent from Unix

Dear All, We have following code to send mails from unix to users. We want to see few sentences of mail in bold font or to hightlight few lines in different colours. Could you please let me know how can we do it in function construct_body. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogichavan
3 Replies

4. Linux

Unix/Neoware/Font Issues

Hi all, My problem is that I have generated a text file on unix which I want to print on a neoware(Neolinux) box. The problem is that the line length is 2 big so when I print it the text is wrapped around.In windows we have the option of reducing font and printing.Is there any such option... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Citrix font problem

Hello world! I have a problem with my solaris 8 and 9 machines running Citrix server, the fonts in X applications are hard to read and faulty scaled. Anybody know how to turn om some kind of anti-aliasing or font smoothing? /David (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
0 Replies

6. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Russian UNIX Forums

Russian UNIX Forums Russian UNIX-like systems users's forums. Articles. UNIX Encyclopedia project. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Font change in unix while sending email

Hi, I know that we would be require HTML to change the font and color of the text of the output, if we wnt to send that through the email. But I have managed to get below code, can someone look into it and let me know if i can acheive my requirement through this kind of code: Following can... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail from UNIX in courier font

Need assistance . I have a cvs file which i changed to html file but when i try to send mail to outlook its indent goes wrong. any idea is appreciated . below are some commands i tried using Converting csv to html #!/bin/sh nawk 'BEGIN{ FS="," print "MIME-Version: 1.0" print ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
7 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Quick Update on UNIX.COM Site Renovation: Bootstrap, Font Awesome and jQuery

Here is an update on the site renovation: After a lot of analysis and example programming, including testing out a number of Javascript framework and libraries, in the short term, we are getting the most bang-for-the-buck from these three basic, core tech areas: Bootstrap (CSS and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
Russian(5)							File Formats Manual							Russian(5)

NAME
Russian, russian - Introduction to Russian language support DESCRIPTION
This reference page describes the coded character set (codeset), locale, device, and other kinds of support for the Russian language. Codesets The operating system supports the following codesets for Russian by means of locales, codeset converters, or both: ISO 8859-5 (ISO Latin/Cyrillic) ISO8859-5 is the string that represents this codeset in the names of locales and codeset converters. See iso8859-5(5) for more information. UCS-2, UCS-4, and UTF-8 UCS-2, UCS-4, ucs4, and UTF-8 are the strings that represent these encoding formats in the names of locales and codeset converters. See Unicode(5) for more information. PC code pages cp855, cp866, and cp1251 are the strings that represent these encoding formats in the names of codeset converters. See code_page(5) for more information. See the i18n_intro(5) and l10n_intro(5) reference pages for introductory information on codesets. The iconv_intro(5) reference page dis- cusses codeset converters and how to use them. Locales The operating system provides the following Russian locale: ru_RU.ISO8859-5, for Russia The ru_RU.ISO8859-5@ucs4 variant of this locale exists for applications that need to convert file data in ISO8859-5 format to UCS-4 process code for certain character-classification operations. You can use the locale command (see locale(1)) to find out which locales are installed on your system. See i18n_intro(5) for information on setting locale from the operating system command line. For the Common Desktop Environment (CDE), you set locale by setting the session language. To do this, use the Language menu accessed from the Options button of the Login window. Keyboards The operating system supports the following VT style and PC style keyboards with Russian characters printed on the keys: ---------------------------------------------- VT Style (105/108 keys) PC Style (102 keys) ---------------------------------------------- LK401-BT LK471-BT LK411-BT LK47W-BT LK461-BT LK97W-BT LK46W-BT PCXAL-HT PCXAL-LT PCXAL-PT PCXAL-QT PCXAL-ST ---------------------------------------------- For your keyboard to function correctly with your system, you must load a keyboard mapping table (keymap) that is appropriate for your key- board's model and language. If you load a keymap that does not correspond to your keyboard's model and language, your keyboard behavior is unpredictable. The label located on the bottom surface of a keyboard usually specifies its model (five letter code) and language (two let- ter code). See the keyboard(5) reference page for general information on keymaps and instructions for loading them in different formats. The following tables supply Russian-specific information that you need when loading keymaps. Selecting keymaps in xkb format: --------------------------------------------------------- For VT Style For PC Style Keyboard: Select: Keyboard: Select: --------------------------------------------------------- LK401-BT lk401 LK471-BT lk471bt or lk471 LK411-BT lk411 LK47W-BT lk471bt or lk471 LK461-BT lk461 LK97W-BT lk97wbt or lk97w LK46W-BT lk461 PCXAL-HT pcxalht PCXAL-LT pcxallt PCXAL-PT pcxalpt PCXAL-QT pcxalqt PCXAL-ST pcxalst --------------------------------------------------------- Selecting keymaps in xmodmap format: ---------------------------------------------------------------- For VT Style For PC Style Keyboard: Select: Keyboard: Select: ---------------------------------------------------------------- LK401-BT russian lk401bt LK471-BT russian pcxalht LK411-BT russian lk411bt LK47W-BT russian pcxalht LK461-BT russian lk411bt PCXAL-HT russian pcxalht LK46W-BT russian lk411bt PCXAL-LT russian pcxallt PCXAL-PT russian pcxallt PCXAL-QT russian pcxallt PCXAL-ST russian pcxallt ---------------------------------------------------------------- Keyboards can have keys with characters printed on both the left and right half of the keycap. The way you set or use your keyboard to send different sets of characters varies from one keyboard model to another. Furthermore, your keyboard allows you to enter more characters than those printed on the keycaps. Refer to the keyboard(5) reference page for information on how to enter characters. Printers The PostScript fonts available for languages supported by the ISO 8859-5 codeset are listed on the iso8859-5(5) reference page. Refer to the i18n_printing(5) reference page for a discussion of printer support options. SEE ALSO
Commands: locale(1) Others: code_page(5), i18n_intro(5), i18n_printing(5), iconv_intro(5), iso8859-5(5), keyboard(5), l10n_intro(5), Unicode(5) Writing Software for the International Market Russian(5)