Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp security
Operating Systems HP-UX ftp security Post 54497 by lbeard on Monday 16th of August 2004 07:28:24 PM
Old 08-16-2004
ftp security

Hi all,

Are there any white papers on setting up ftp, where a user logs in from any system to put a file on another UNIX machine.

eg. the external user puts a file in "ddd". We only want them to have access to this directory for write purposes and access no where else.

Can we put an acl for a specific user on "ddd" so this is the only directory they can go to ?

/aaaa/bbb/ccc/ddd

Any advice would be good. So far any solution I have thought of has holes in it.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp security

I have written a number of ftp scripts to put/get files between unix and other systems. My scripts only ftp to servers inside of our firewall. However, I have heard of risks involved with using the typical ftp automation techniques if one goes into unsecure areas with thier ftp processes. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thekid
8 Replies

2. AIX

Unix security -- FTP service????

I would like to ask for you suggestions or comments see if you can help. Since system auditing is under progress and the AIX is the main investigated unit. They are asking to disable the FTP service to enhance the security but I doubt. For daily use, the FTP will help administrator to download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanemcmahon
1 Replies
inet_pton(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      inet_pton(3)

NAME
inet_pton - Create a network address structure SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> int inet_pton(int af, const char *src, void *dst); DESCRIPTION
This function converts the character string src into a network address structure in the af address family, then copies the network address structure to dst. inet_pton(3) extends the inet_addr(3) function to support multiple address families, inet_addr(3) is now considered to be deprecated in favor of inet_pton(3). The following address families are currently supported: AF_INET src points to a character string containing an IPv4 network address in the dotted-quad format, "ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd". The address is converted to a struct in_addr and copied to dst, which must be sizeof(struct in_addr) bytes long. AF_INET6 src points to a character string containing an IPv6 network address in any allowed IPv6 address format. The address is converted to a struct in6_addr and copied to dst, which must be sizeof(struct in6_addr) bytes long. Certain legacy hex and octal formats of AF_INET addresses are not supported by inet_pton, which rejects them. RETURN VALUE
inet_pton returns a negative value and sets errno to EAFNOSUPPORT if af does not contain a valid address family. 0 is returned if src does not contain a character string representing a valid network address in the specified address family. A positive value is returned if the network address was successfully converted. SEE ALSO
inet_ntop(3) BUGS
AF_INET6 does not recognize IPv4 addresses. An explicit IPv6-mapped IPv4 address must be supplied in src instead. Linux Man Page 2000-12-18 inet_pton(3)