Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can unix run on a pc? war.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can unix run on a pc? war. Post 5449 by LivinFree on Wednesday 15th of August 2001 01:24:33 AM
Old 08-15-2001

Unix as an operating system does not exist. As Neo states so well, it's an architectural design - a style. Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, BSD, SCO... they're all "Unix". And yes, you can run different 'types' of Unix on the same machine.

Also, the "original" UNIX was slow, cumbersome (you had to reboot the system before you could use a newly created directory), and underdeveloped. That was in 1969. Now, the various Unices comprise a giant chunk of the world's high-end servers, and is even making headway in the desktop world. It has become one of the most advanced, powerful, flexible, and stable operating system in the world.

P.S. - The first development efforts at Bell Labs in 1969 were on a PDP-7 computer... far from 64-bit. It had an 18 bit word space. Wierd, wild stuff, man!

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

war file deployment

Hi Experts. I need to install one help library in Fedora 13 and I got the installation document for it: --------------------------------------------------- users need their own J2EE web application server to be able to complete this installation. The server must support J2EE - JSP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orma
3 Replies

2. Solaris

war file location...

hi. what is the data directory for tomcat-apache in which i will locate a ".war" file and if i up the tomcat the file will run and i can access that file using web... i want to know the home directory for Tomcat-apache. guide me please ... ---------- Post updated at 03:29 PM ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX?

Please share the doc asap as very urgently required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies
runit-init(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     runit-init(8)

NAME
init - a UNIX process no 1 SYNOPSIS
init [ 0 | 6 ] DESCRIPTION
runit-init is the first process the kernel starts. If runit-init is started as process no 1, it runs and replaces itself with runit(8). If runit-init is started while the system is up, it must be either called as init 0 or init 6: init 0 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and halt the system. To signal runit(8) the system halt request, runit-init removes all permissions of the file /etc/runit/reboot (chmod 0), and sets the execute by owner permission of the file /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). init 6 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and reboot the system. To signal runit(8) the system reboot request, runit-init sets the execute by owner permission of the files /etc/runit/reboot and /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). EXIT CODES
runit-init returns 111 on error, 0 in all other cases. SEE ALSO
runit(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), sv(8), runsv(8), chpst(8), utmpset(8), svlogd(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> runit-init(8)