Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Does unix ever misreport free space? Post 54443 by izy100 on Saturday 14th of August 2004 12:01:58 AM
Old 08-14-2004
I remembered encounting a problem when I do a df -k as a normal user, I see x number of digits. When I do the same as root, I see x+1 number of digits.
Upon invetigation, i noticed some of the huge directories have 700 as the permission. I guess that could be the reason. It might be also due to the overflowing digit in df -k i guess....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

display free space on a unix server

I need to display the amount space avalible on a unix server in an html webpage, which will automatically update every hour. I am able to do so using a javascript in a windows based server. How would i go about doing this in a unix server. Any help, suggestions, anything would be great. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davwel
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the free space & usage of the particular directory in Hp-Unix?

How to find the free space & usage of the particular directory in Hp-Unix? I want to see the usage in % (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

vxfs free space?

Hi, How do I determine the free space below? # vxdg -g msb_db_dg free DISK DEVICE TAG OFFSET LENGTH FLAGS msb_db_dg01 sdb sdb 312475648 316571392 n Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

4. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

free space, used space in ftp

Is possible to see how much available space there is on a ftp server and how much is used through ftp ? how ? free space: used space: thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How do i find free space in my unix?

Hello, I wanted to calculate free space in my unix file system. Here is my direction. I can use df -h command to get the below output. Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on =================================================== /dev/vx/dsk/edcdg/data01vol ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
9 Replies

8. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

9. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies
defragment(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     defragment(8)

NAME
defragment - Makes the files in a file domain more contiguous SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/defragment [-e] [-n] [-N threads] [-t time] [-T time] [-v] [-V] domain OPTIONS
Ignores errors and continues, if possible. Errors that are ignored are usually related to a specific file. Specifies the number of threads to run on the utility. The default number of threads that will be run is the number of volumes in the domain. The maximum number you can specify for the number of threads is 20. Prevents defragmentation from actually taking place. Use in conjunction with the -v option to display statistics on the number of extents in the file domain. Specifies a flexible time interval (in minutes) for the defragment utility to run. If the utility is performing an operation when the specified time has elapsed, the procedure continues until the operation is com- plete. Specifies an exact time interval (in minutes) for the defragment utility to run. When the specified time has elapsed, the defrag- mentation procedure stops, even if it is performing an operation. Displays statistics on the amount of fragmentation in the file domain and information on the progress of the defragment procedure. Displays the same information provided by the -v option along with informa- tion about each operation the defragment utility performs on each file. This option slows the defragment procedure. OPERANDS
Specifies the name of the file domain. DESCRIPTION
When a file consists of many discontiguous file extents, the file is fragmented on the disk. File fragmentation reduces the read/write per- formance because more I/O operations are required to access a fragmented file. The defragment utility attempts to reduce the number of file extents in a file domain by making files more contiguous. Defragmenting a file domain often makes the free space on a disk more contiguous, resulting in less fragmented file allocations in the future. Before you can defragment a file domain, all filesets in the file domain must be mounted. If you try to defragment an active file domain that includes unmounted filesets, the system displays an error message indicating that a fileset is unmounted. To determine the amount of file fragmentation in a file domain, run the defragment command with the -v and -n options. This provides the fragmentation information without starting the defragmentation process. Run defragment with the -v and -n options again to see the improve- ment. Before running the defragment utility, delete any files in the domain that you do not need. This gives the defragment utility more free space to use, which produces better results. Deleting files afterwards creates only more free-space fragments. It is also a good idea to run the balance utility on the domain before you run the defragment utility in order to balance domain free space before defragmenting the domain files. To monitor the improvement made to the file domain by the defragment utility, use the verbose mode option, -v, which displays the following information: Extents The number of extents in the specified domain. (Contiguous extents in sparse files are counted as one extent after defragmentation, when in fact there are several contiguous file extents.) Files w/ extents The number of files that have extents. (Note that files do not have extents if the files are less than 7 Kilobytes.) Avg exts per file w/ exts The average number of extents for each file that has one or more extents. Aggregate I/O perf The efficiency of the entire file domain. An increase in value indicates improvement. Free space fragments The number of free-space fragments in the domain. RESTRICTIONS
The defragment utility requires a minimum of 1 percent of the total space, or 5 megabytes per volume (whichever is less) to be free in order to run. You cannot run the defragment utility while the addvol, balance, defragment, rmfset, or rmvol utility is running on the same file domain. You must be the root user to use this utility. EXAMPLES
The following example defragments the file domain called accounts_dmn. A flexible time limit of 15 minutes is imposed and verbose mode is requested to display the fragmentation data: # defragment -v -t 15 accounts_dmn defragment: defragmenting domain 'accounts_dmn' Pass 1; Clearing Volume 1: area at block 11680 ( 103072 blocks): 81% full Domain data as of the start of this pass: Extents: 10432 Files w/extents: 4305 Avg exts per file w/exts: 2.42 Aggregate I/O perf: 52% Free space fragments: 2743 <100K <1M <10M >10M Free space: 38% 0% 0% 62% Fragments: 2742 0 0 1 Filling . . . Pass 13; Clearing Volume 1: area at block 559744 ( 62736 blocks): 0% full Volume 2: area at block 76640 ( 24624 blocks): 18% full Domain data as of the start of this pass: Extents: 4306 Files w/extents: 4305 Avg exts per file w/exts: 1.00 Aggregate I/O perf: 100% Free space fragments: 23 <100K <1M <10M >10M Free space: 0% 9% 27% 64% Fragments: 6 10 5 2 Filling Current domain data: Extents: 4305 Files w/extents: 4305 Avg exts per file w/exts: 1.00 Aggregate I/O perf: 100% Free space fragments: 17 <100K <1M <10M >10M Free space: 0% 6% 29% 65% Fragments: 3 8 4 2 defragment: defragmented domain 'accounts_dmn' The information displayed before each pass and at the conclusion of the defragmentation process shows the improvement made to the file domain by the defragment utility. SEE ALSO
Commands: addvol(8), balance(8), rmvol(8) defragment(8)