Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can unix run on a pc? war.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can unix run on a pc? war. Post 5435 by avaist on Tuesday 14th of August 2001 08:07:59 PM
Old 08-14-2001
can unix run on a pc? war.

I posted a message on a board asking if unix and linux could run on one pc.
I was told unix cannot run on a pc. Then i was told unix variations can run on a pc but the orignial unix,..a 64 bit os cannot run on a computer.
Now i've seen 386's run unix, my friend has a 386 altos ..that cant be 64 bit...so can the original unix run on a new computer today, and what the heck is the difference between unix on a server and unix on a pc. Thank you so much for your time and i look forward to your reply.
smitty.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

war file deployment

Hi Experts. I need to install one help library in Fedora 13 and I got the installation document for it: --------------------------------------------------- users need their own J2EE web application server to be able to complete this installation. The server must support J2EE - JSP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orma
3 Replies

2. Solaris

war file location...

hi. what is the data directory for tomcat-apache in which i will locate a ".war" file and if i up the tomcat the file will run and i can access that file using web... i want to know the home directory for Tomcat-apache. guide me please ... ---------- Post updated at 03:29 PM ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX?

Please share the doc asap as very urgently required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies
CASPERD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						CASPERD(8)

NAME
casperd -- Capability Services friendly daemon SYNOPSIS
casperd [-Fhv] [-D servconfdir] [-P pidfile] [-S sockpath] [-Fhv] [-D servconfdir] [-P pidfile] [-S sockpath] DESCRIPTION
The casperd daemon hosts various services that can be accessed through libcapsicum's capabilities by programs running in sandboxes. For example it is prohibited to send UDP packets to arbitrary destinations when operating in capability mode, which makes DNS resolution impossi- ble. To make it possible the casperd daemon provides the system.dns service that proxies DNS resolution requests through a dedicated, non- sandboxed process provided by casperd. The casperd daemon can be started with the following command line arguments: -D servconfdir Specify alternative location of the service configuration directory. The default location is /etc/casper/. -F Start the casperd daemon in the foreground. By default casperd starts in the background. -h Print the casperd usage message. -P pidfile Specify alternative location of a file where main process PID will be stored. The default location is /var/run/casperd.pid. -S sockpath Specify alternative location of the unix(4) domain socket used to connect to the casperd daemon. The default location is /var/run/casper. -v Print or log verbose/debugging information. This option can be specified multiple times to raise the verbosity level. FILES
/etc/casper/ The configuration directory for casperd services. /var/run/casper unix(4) domain socket used to connect to the casperd daemon. /var/run/casperd.pid The default location of the casperd PID file. EXIT STATUS
The casperd daemon exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cap_enter(2), libcapsicum(3), pidfile(3), capsicum(4), unix(4) AUTHORS
The casperd was implemented by Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pawel@dawidek.net> under sponsorship from the FreeBSD Foundation. BSD
October 26, 2013 BSD