Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sharing a unified dbaseIII file between 4 SCO boxes Post 54262 by BAM on Saturday 7th of August 2004 03:56:19 PM
Old 08-07-2004
sharing a unified dbaseIII file between 4 SCO boxes

Hi,

I have an application which must use a unified database, the application will run on 4 SCO boxes, so the database will be in one of them and the application in the other 3 servers will access this database on the host machine. This is as a file sharing application in windows. I know this can be done using NFS/NIS in Unix. I just need a hint how/where to start.

man nfs - man nis ; both gave some info, but not helpful for my level. Any hints? A hint would be enough as I like to DIG my head to learn better.

An no this is not a homework, it is a jobwork, and i am new to unix. thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

text boxes, radio buttons , check boxes in c++ on unix

Hi ! Please tell me how to get radio buttons, text boxes , check boxes , option buttons , pull down menus in C++ on Unix. I think it would be done using curses.h ..but that's all i know. TIA, Devyani. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devy8
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file sharing

my computer and the rest of my network run Mac OS X , and i was wondering how or if your can transfer files from other computers with the Terminal. i also wanna know where i can download a free UNIX version and more on the sudo command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pyrohotdog
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file sharing

i want to share some file to some user of my group(there are many users in a perticular group). So how should i do that?And i m not a super user. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File sharing

I'm not sur how Im a new user (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1982
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Storedge D1000 sharing disks between two boxes

Hello, I have a d1000, it's connected to two servers, I want both servers to see all disks in the array. i.e. i have 6 disks, 3 in each side, I want both servers to see all 6 disks. It appears to be setup in a split bus mode now, ive looked thru the manuals and have become confused! So,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file sharing

Hello all, Just curious. I have several unix echo commands(echo Y > file.txt) running in parallel(each directs a value of 'Y' to the same file). What happens if 2 echo's collide(trying to the write to the same file at the same time)? Not sure how unix deals with this. Thanks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robert4732
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Public file sharing on redhat

Hello, I want to share my folder on redhat like 192.168.x.x\share But I can't use 3rd party packets/application or something like that. And I want to see shared folder on windows2003 server command with \\192.168.x.x\share. Basicly I need to know what should I do step by step. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to scp a file to multiple boxes

Hello All, I am new to scripting and I am trying to write a script which can scp a file from one box to multiple boxes. I am thinking to do like this. 1) create a file with list of all server names 2)write a script which will pick up each server line by line from server list and copy it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies
posix_fadvise(2)						System Calls Manual						  posix_fadvise(2)

NAME
posix_fadvise(), posix_fadvise64() - file advisory information SYNOPSIS
Parameters fd The open file descriptor to which the fadvise operation applies. offset The begining of the specified range as a positive, byte offset. len The length of the specified range in bytes. advice Specifies advice to be applied to range. DESCRIPTION
The function is used to advise the system about the expected behavior of the application with respect to the data in the file associated with the open file descriptor, fd, starting at offset and continuing for len bytes. The specified range need not currently exist in the file. If len is zero, all data following offset is specified. It should be noted that the effect of all hints is cumulative for a given file object. All hints will be removed on processing the last close of the file object. The function may be used for large file access by a 32-bit application built with set to 64. The advice parameter is used to convey the hint to be applied to the data and may be one of the following values: Specifies that the application has no advice to give on its behavior with respect to the specified data. It is the default characteristic if no advice is given for an open file. Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range of data sequentially from the lower offsets to higher offsets. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified specified range of data in a random order. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified range of data in the near future. Specifies that the application will expect that it will not access the specified range of data in the near future. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified range of data once and then not reuse it thereafter. These values will be defined in RETURN VALUE
Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the service fails, is set to one of the following values: The fd argument is not a valid file descriptor. The fd argument is associated with a pipe or FIFO. The posix_fadvise operation is not supported by the underlying file system. The value of advice or one of the other input values has been found to be invalid. A designated hint is not supported by the underlying file object. EXAMPLES
AUTHOR
was derived by HP from the IEEE POSIX 1003.1-2001 Standard. SEE ALSO
fadvise(2), fcntl(2), fadvise(5), fcntl(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
posix_fadvise(2)