Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: + instead of ;
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting + instead of ; Post 54217 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 5th of August 2004 01:56:12 PM
Old 08-05-2004
With regard to the performance issue -

Calling find with a semi-colon results in thousands of fork() calls,
calling with the plus sign results in one fork() - that lasts a fairly
long time as grep runs over thousands of files. Which is why we started using it.

But we have lots of linux boxes that don't support fully POSIX-compliant find I suppose. Which results in two versions of scripts that call find like this - a bad thing. I'm going to go back and something about it, but I wanted to know what I was up against.

Thanks.

IBV_FORK_INIT(3)					  Libibverbs Programmer's Manual					  IBV_FORK_INIT(3)

NAME
ibv_fork_init - initialize libibverbs to support fork() SYNOPSIS
#include <infiniband/verbs.h> int ibv_fork_init(void); DESCRIPTION
ibv_fork_init() initializes libibverbs's data structures to handle fork() function calls correctly and avoid data corruption, whether fork() is called explicitly or implicitly (such as in system()). It is not necessary to use this function if all parent process threads are always blocked until all child processes end or change address spaces via an exec() operation. RETURN VALUE
ibv_fork_init() returns 0 on success, or the value of errno on failure (which indicates the failure reason). NOTES
ibv_fork_init() works on Linux kernels supporting the MADV_DONTFORK flag for madvise() (2.6.17 and higher). Setting the environment variable RDMAV_FORK_SAFE or IBV_FORK_SAFE has the same effect as calling ibv_fork_init(). Setting the environment variable RDMAV_HUGEPAGES_SAFE tells the library to check the underlying page size used by the kernel for memory regions. This is required if an application uses huge pages either directly or indirectly via a library such as libhugetlbfs. Calling ibv_fork_init() will reduce performance due to an extra system call for every memory registration, and the additional memory allo- cated to track memory regions. The precise performance impact depends on the workload and usually will not be significant. Setting RDMAV_HUGEPAGES_SAFE adds further overhead to all memory registrations. SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(2), system(3), exec(3), ibv_get_device_list(3) AUTHORS
Dotan Barak <dotanba@gmail.com> libibverbs 2006-10-31 IBV_FORK_INIT(3)