Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remove shadow password
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers remove shadow password Post 54139 by gizaa on Tuesday 3rd of August 2004 06:24:20 PM
Old 08-03-2004
remove shadow password

Does anyone know how to remove a stanza in the shadow password file if the user account has already been removed on an AIX box? I know it can be done by editing the file itself but I would prefer not to do it that way.

cheers
gizaa

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to append password in /etc/shadow file

Hi, I want to append password into /etc/shadow file using a shell script. My below script does add the users to both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow but how can I add the hordcoded passwords to /etc/shadow file can some one help me ? # To add the groups into /etc/group file for a_user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: modgil
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file after a password reset

hi, I had to reset a lost root password by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files ( this is a xen vm file, so i mounted and chrooted the file ) after the reboot with an empty password on root , i have set a new password with passwd but it only changed the /etc/passwd file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

3. Linux

Interpreting the encrypted shadow password?

We are currently using a script to copy the same encrypted password between our HP-UX and Solaris servers editing the trusted and shadow files directly. The encrypted password is only 13 characters long on both servers and decrypts the same way. Is there a way to copy this same string to Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
5 Replies

4. Solaris

hash password in shadow show 'x' ???

Hello, I want to know the reason behing the scene why some systems have hashed password in /etc/shadow file as "x" not the alienoid language like A1Dksxi3kaA.. (13 characters) As far as I understand, etc/password will show password as "x" and move all hashed password to etc/shadow.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow encrypted password

Hi I wonder whether is possible to generate enrypted passwd for some user and paste it into /etc/shadow file ? What kind of encryption is used in /etc/shadow file ? ths for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Shadow file password policy

Today i was going through some of security guides written on linux . Under shadow file security following points were mentioned. 1)The encrypted password stored under /etc/shadow file should have more than 14-25 characters. 2)Usernames in shadow file must satisfy to all the same rules as... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow.

Hello, I have to do a script which returns users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow. Here is what have I done and I'm not sure if it's ok. I tried to return just users who doesn;t have password set or are locked. Can be there other kind of user who never changed the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove the non : characters after the password in shadow file?

On SPARC Solaris 10. I set the app account so it's expired. I also want it so not required to change password at first login, I can do this by removing the numbers after the password in /etc/shadow. example using user1 The /etc/shadow file looks like this: user1:kOmcVXAImRTAY:0::::90:: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the encrypted password of the shadow file

i have an application that uses the encrypted password that's in the /etc/shadow file. i copied the line for the particular username i was interested it in from shadow file and i pasted it into the password file of the application. the application is nagios. this application allowed that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
CHAGE(1)							   User Commands							  CHAGE(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
The chage command changes the number of days between password changes and the date of the last password change. This information is used by the system to determine when a user must change his/her password. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chage command are: -d, --lastday LAST_DAY Set the number of days since January 1st, 1970 when the password was last changed. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). -E, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE Set the date or number of days since January 1, 1970 on which the user's account will no longer be accessible. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the EXPIRE_DATE will remove an account expiration date. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -I, --inactive INACTIVE Set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. The INACTIVE option is the number of days of inactivity. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. Passing the number -1 as the INACTIVE will remove an account's inactivity. -l, --list Show account aging information. -m, --mindays MIN_DAYS Set the minimum number of days between password changes to MIN_DAYS. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change his/her password at any time. -M, --maxdays MAX_DAYS Set the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When MAX_DAYS plus LAST_DAY is less than the current day, the user will be required to change his/her password before being able to use his/her account. This occurrence can be planned for in advance by use of the -W option, which provides the user with advance warning. Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -W, --warndays WARN_DAYS Set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The WARN_DAYS option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned his/her password is about to expire. If none of the options are selected, chage operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The chage program requires a shadow password file to be available. The chage command is restricted to the root user, except for the -l option, which may be used by an unprivileged user to determine when his/her password or account is due to expire. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The chage command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 permission denied 2 invalid command syntax 15 can't find the shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHAGE(1)