Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How many...
Special Forums Cybersecurity How many... Post 5391 by LivinFree on Tuesday 14th of August 2001 04:50:20 AM
Old 08-14-2001
How many...

How many of these folks posting on here (newbies - trying to get their first Unix-like box online) do you think have taken the time to learn the ins-and-outs of tcp_wrappers, or inetd, or even simple init-scripts? Maybe I'm overreacting here, but since I've spent my time on "the other side of the wall" with security, that really concerns me.

I think new readers should check out this simple wake-up call, and at least learn how to turn off all services - turn them on again when you know what to do with them.
http://machineofthemonth.org/articles/a71/index.html
A poster recently touched upon the honeynet project - remote root access within 15 minutes on a default Redhat install (sure, it was 6.2, but 7.x isn't all that different).

How can we get word out about this without sounding like preachers? I would just hate to see someone's great new Unix-experiance muddled with the bitter taste of a cracking attack.

Any ideas?

-LivinFree

rwalld(1M)																rwalld(1M)

NAME
rwalld - network rwall server SYNOPSIS
log_file] DESCRIPTION
is an RPC server that handles requests (see rwall(1)). calls to send a message to all users logged into the host on which is running (see wall(1)). invokes through (see inetd(1M)). Options recognizes the following options and command-line options: Log any errors to log_file. Errors are not logged if the option is not specified. Information logged to the log file includes date and time of the error, the host name, process ID and name of the function generating the error, and the error message. Note that different services can share a single log file because enough information is included to uniquely identify each error. Exit after serving each RPC request. Using the option, the security file can control access to RPC services. Exit only if: o dies (see portmap(1M)), o another registers with or o becomes unregistered with The option is more efficient because a new process is not launched for each RPC request. Note, this option is the default. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
inetd(1M), portmap(1M), rwall(1M), wall(1M), inetd.conf(4), inetd.sec(4), services(4). rwalld(1M)