Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace string in binary file Post 53908 by Ygor on Wednesday 28th of July 2004 07:05:16 AM
Old 07-28-2004
Use perl...

perl -pi -e 's/pattern/replacement/g' file1
This User Gave Thanks to Ygor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a binary file into 2 basing on 2 delemiter string

Hi all, I have a binary file (orig.dat) and two special delimiter strings 'AAA' and 'BBB'. My binary file's content is as follow: <Data1.1>AAA<Data1.2>BBB <Data2.1>AAA<Data2.2>BBB ... <DataN.1>AAA<DataN.2>BBB DataX.Y might have any length, and contains any kind of special/printable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Averell
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Solaris

A string in a binary file

hi experts, anyone knows how can i find a string in a multiple binary files in a multiple directories and display the file name containing the string? i mean i have lots of folders with binary files and i am looking for specific string within one of these files i would like to know the right... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex and backreference to replace in binary file

Hello to all, I have this sed script that replaces hex strins within a binary file. As you can see, I want to replace all bytes 4X with 2X (where X could take values 0 to F). sed -e 's/\x40/\x20/g' -e 's/\x41/\x21/g' -e 's/\x42/\x22/g' -e 's/\x43/\x23/g' -e 's/\x44/\x24/g' -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

7. Programming

C program to read a binary file and search for a string?

Hi, I am not a C programmer. The only C exposure I have is reading and completing the exercises from the C (ANSI C ) Programming Language book:o At the moment, I am using the UNIX strings command to extract information for a binary file and grepping for a particular string and the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZDIFF(1)