Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: resolutions in Solaris
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers resolutions in Solaris Post 5379 by macker on Monday 13th of August 2001 07:46:14 PM
Old 08-13-2001
Question resolutions in Solaris

My name is Paul Maguire and I am a student at Aston University, England. I have visual
impairment so I need everything on the screen large including screen resolutions.

Q1. Can you tell me if it is possible to set up a profile for display settings on a Unix network that
runs Win98, Macs and Solaris via a samba server, so that I can log onto the network on
any machine and have my display settings automatically set up for me?

Q2. Can I change screen resolutions on a sparc machine running CDE with Solaris?

Thanks,

Paul Maguire

Last edited by macker; 08-13-2001 at 08:48 PM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Display resolutions

Hi, I have recently install SUSE 9.1 on my laptop The resolution only comes up in 800x600 i dont get any other options but also is shown as a small box rather than the whole screen. In windows it is fine and covers the full display. I tried to set the dismensions but this doesn't work ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billett05
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

3. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Fixed width file issue and resolutions

I have a fixed width file with no separators , but the file has JUNK characters in it and i know how to remove it. but in few cases these junk characters having created a mess by splitting single row into 2 or 3 rows. I need to put them back to a single line like rest of the rows. This fixed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santoshkm
2 Replies
XDefault()																XDefault()

Name
  XDefaultColormap,  XDefaultColormapOfScreen, XDefaultDepth, XDefaultDepthOfScreen, XDefaultGC, XDefaultGCOfScreen, XDefaultRootWindow, XDe-
  faultScreen,	XDefaultScreenOfDisplay,  XDefaultVisual,  XDefaultVisualOfScreen,  DefaultColormap,  DefaultColormapOfScreen,	DefaultDepth,
  DefaultDepthOfScreen,  DefaultGC,  DefaultGCOfScreen, DefaultRootWindow, DefaultScreen, DefaultScreenOfDisplay, DefaultVisual, DefaultVisu-
  alOfScreen - get information on server defaults.

Synopsis
  Colormap XDefaultColormap(display, screen_number)
	   Display *display;
	   int screen_number;
  Colormap XDefaultColormapOfScreen(screen)
	   Screen *screen;
  int XDefaultDepth(display, screen_number)
	   Display *display;
	   int screen_number;
  int XDefaultDepthOfScreen(screen)
	   Screen *screen;
  GC XDefaultGC(display, screen_number)
	   Display *display;
	   int screen_number;
  GC XDefaultGCOfScreen(screen)
	   Screen *screen;
  Window XDefaultRootWindow(display)
	   Display *display;
  int XDefaultScreen(display)
	   Display *display;
  Screen *XDefaultScreenOfDisplay(display)
	   Display *display;
  Visual *XDefaultVisual(display, screen_number)
	   Display *display;
	   int screen_number;
  Visual *XDefaultVisualOfScreen(screen)
	   Screen *screen;

Arguments
  display   Specifies a connection to an X server; returned from XOpenDisplay().

screen_number
	    Specifies the appropriate screen number on the host server.

screen    Specifies the appropriate Screen structure.

Description
  This page describes several pairs of functions such as such as XDefaultColormap() and XDefaultColormapOfScreen().  The only  difference  is
  the arguments: one takes a Display pointer and integer screen number, while the other takes a Screen pointer.

XDefaultScreen()  returns  the default screen number referenced by the XOpenDisplay() function.  XDefaultScreenOfDisplay() return a pointer
  to the Screen structure of the default screen.

XDefaultColormap() and XDefaultColormapOfScreen() return the default colormap ID on the specified  screen.   Most  routine  allocations  of
  color should be made out of this colormap.

XDefaultDepth()  and	XDefaultDepthOfScreen() return the depth (number of planes) of the root window of the specified screen.  Other depths
  may also be supported on this screen (see XMatchVisualInfo()).

XDefaultGC() and XDefaultGCOfScreen() return the default graphics context of the specified screen, which has the same  depth	as  the  root
  window of the screen.  The GC must never be freed.

XDefaultRootWindow() returns the root window of the default screen.

XDefaultVisual() and XDefaultVisualOfScreen() return the default visual of the specified screen.

The  C  language  macros  DefaultColormap(),	DefaultColormapOfScreen(),  DefaultDepth(), DefaultDepthOfScreen(), DefaultGC(), DefaultGCOf-
  Screen(), DefaultRootWindow(), DefaultScreen(), DefaultScreenOfDisplay(), DefaultVisual(), and DefaultVisualOfScreen() are  equivalent  and
  slightly more efficient.

See Also
  XOpenDisplay().

Xlib - Macro Equivalents														XDefault()