Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamic select with multiple word menu items Post 53680 by domivv on Thursday 22nd of July 2004 06:31:30 AM
Old 07-22-2004
Ok, tried it. The example works of course.

Now image that the actual data is completely unknown and dynamically created. The result in my case is put in file. This would mean a flat text file with something like this :

one one
two two

in it.

The contents of the file can be modified to make it work, but I don't seem to succeed.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic Select menu

Hi all is menu driven by SELECT can be a dynamic ? My requirement is that i want SELECT to be created on run time not predefine . The select should be created as per the no of words in a file thanks in advance rawat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawatds
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic Menu Help

I'm working on a menu to read folders in as menu selections then CD to the selected folder and display the contained files as menu selections for execution. I'm using the following to read in the file list but I get lost after that. I only read in files that begin with CAPs. The problem is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottKe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reappearing menu list using select

is there a way I can make the menu list reappear when I use select ? ----- menulist="Change_title Remove_tag Change_tag Add_line Quit" select word in $menulist #change_title remove_tag change_tag add_line quit do case $word in # first menu option Change Title ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error using select menu command

Hi All, I am trying to use the select command & the menu. below mention is my script #!/bin/bash 2 3 PS3="Is today your birthday? " #PS3 system variable 4 5 echo "\n" 6 7 8 select menu_selection in YES NO QUIT 9 do 10 11 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milindb
1 Replies

5. Web Development

Dynamic Drop Down Menu

I need to create a dynamic drop down menu which is populated by entries such as; htdocs/client1/index.php htdocs/client2/index.php htdocs/client3/index.php htdocs/client4/index.php etc. So htdocs/client*/index.php Is this possible? I know how to do this using normal arrays, but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic menu selection? Help..

Hi guys, i would like to create a program that allow user to show the information of certain thing such as network card. I would like the menu to be dynamic, for example: my computer system have 2 network card inserted at the moment, therefore the menu will have 2 choice for the user. eth0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with menu in select

hi i am new to bash scripting .. i created a bunch of folders but only want the folder names with file1. so i go in and make an array to grab the folders the put in a file then i strip the directories so i just have the folder names i need then i would like to make the menu with a selection... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamby22
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies
pbmtext(1)						      General Commands Manual							pbmtext(1)

NAME
pbmtext - render text into a bitmap SYNOPSIS
pbmtext [-font fontfile] [-builtin fontname] [-space pixels] [-lspace pixels] [text] DESCRIPTION
Takes the specified text, either a single line from the command line or multiple lines from standard input, and renders it into a bitmap. In the bitmap, each line of input is a line of output. Formatting characters such as newline have no effect on the formatting; like any unprintable character, they turn into spaces. The bitmap is just wide enough for the longest line of text, plus margins, and just high enough to contain the lines of text, plus margins. The left and right margins are twice the width of the widest character in the font; the top and bottom margins are the height of the tallest character in the font. But if the text is only one line, all the margins are half of this. OPTIONS
-font,-builtin By default, pbmtext uses a built-in font called bdf (about a 10 point Times-Roman font). You can use a fixed width font by specify- ing -builtin fixed. You can also specify your own font with the -font flag. The fontfile is either a BDF file from the X window system or a PBM file. If the fontfile is a PBM file, it is created in a very specific way. In your window system of choice, display the following text in the desired (fixed-width) font: M ",/^_[`jpqy| M / !"#$%&'()*+ / < ,-./01234567 < > 89:;<=>?@ABC > @ DEFGHIJKLMNO @ _ PQRSTUVWXYZ[ _ { ]^_`abcdefg { } hijklmnopqrs } ~ tuvwxyz{|}~ ~ M ",/^_[`jpqy| M Do a screen grab or window dump of that text, using for instance xwd, xgrabsc, or screendump. Convert the result into a pbm file. If necessary, use pnmcut to remove everything except the text. Finally, run it through pnmcrop to make sure the edges are right up against the text. pbmtext can figure out the sizes and spacings from that. -space pixels Add pixels pixels of space between characters. This is in addition to whatever space surrounding characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable string of text. pixels may be negative to crowd text together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. -B -lspace pixels Add pixels pixels of space between lines. This is in addition to whatever space above and below characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable line spacing. pixels must be a whole number. pixels may be negative to crowd lines together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. USAGE
Often, you want to place text over another image. One way to do this is with ppmlabel. ppmlabel does not give you the font options that pbmtext does, though. Another way is to use pbmtext to create an image containing the text, then use pnmcomp to overlay the text image onto your base image. To make only the text (and not the entire rectangle containing it) cover the base image, you will need to give pnmcomp a mask, via its -alpha option. You can just use the text image itself as the mask, as long as you also specify the -invert option to pnmcomp. If you want to overlay colored text instead of black, just use ppmchange to change all black pixels to the color of your choice before overlaying the text image. But still use the original black and white image for the alpha mask. If you want the text at an angle, use pnmrotate on the text image (and alpha mask) before overlaying. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmcrop(1), pnmcomp(1), ppmchange(1), pnmrotate(1), pbmtextps(1), ppmlabel(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1993 by Jef Poskanzer and George Phillips 28 January 2001 pbmtext(1)