Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script syntax checker
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script syntax checker Post 53459 by handak9 on Thursday 15th of July 2004 11:38:59 AM
Old 07-15-2004
Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see anything and it's driving me up the wall.

Does anyone know of a windows shell editor that will check the syntax of my script and bring up any possible erorrs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Sript - Spell Checker Assign

Hi Folks. I am currently working on a script that has to spell check a file and print the output to the screen in 2 columns like this. INCORRECT CORRECTION whio who weahter weather The file will allow the user to override the ispell command and save any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccfc1986
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

3. Programming

Tools for writing a simple syntax checker?

I'm trying to write a small utility for syntax checking. I've tried using Flex/Bison, but these seem too advanced for my task. A simpler tool would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell syntax checker available, or is a new project needed?

I'd like a shell-script syntax checker that can detect at least the following errors, and more: 1. Variable $VAR used but VAR has not been defined. 2. Variable VAR defined but never used. 3. Use of unquoted variables which might break external commands e.g. SOMETHING in: value=`grep $SOMETHING... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethr
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Syntax Shell-Script

Hi Guys, iīve a question ... but itīs a litte bit tricky: iīve a 3 php-scripts which runīs via cron at night. These script reads an xml-file a writes it in an MySQL-DB. I named them (for example here ) Script1 - Script3. The XML-Files i named xml1 - xml3. Now, iīve build a Batch-file,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script | bc syntax format

sorry but need help http://i.investopedia.com/inv/articles/site/CalculationEMA.gif trying to achieve ema in script I have this syntax which errors ema=` ; the 0.153846154 ='s Smoothing Factor really appreciate help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell script

I am creating a shell script. In which, I need to get server name and server IP. I used this command in script. servername=`cat /etc/hosts|grep `eval hostname`|awk '{print $2}'` however, when execute script or put set -x to debug, it return: line 13: syntax error at line 13: `|' unexpected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash Shell Script Spell Checker program.

I have a majority of this problem done but seem to be struggling on the last couple of steps. Here is the whole problem to help you guys get a better understanding. Write a shell script that implements a simple spell checker. The filename you will use for your script will be your Z-id followed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DsmRacer2k14
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed with File Checker Korn Shell Script

I am attempting to write a korn shell script that does the following, but I am getting errors. I'm new to korn shell scripting and am not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help with example scripts. Thanks. 1) check for day of the week 2) if day of the week is Monday then check for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijmoore
4 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)