Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: / is full
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users / is full Post 53426 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 14th of July 2004 04:52:47 PM
Old 07-14-2004
Nikk...

You need to list your filesystems with sizes...

/(root)
/var
/usr
/opt
/home
/stand

Most likely these are not under the Filesystem / and should not be imho, but can be on the same disk as /.

My advice is to look for any devices in / that you may have inadvertently created a tar and > it to a device name instead of > to a tape device...

I ahve seen it where folks do this:

tar -cvf ... ... > /dev/rmt/0mn or similar to a disk device by accident...

Try this command in /

du -k |sort -rn then go to the dirs under / that are large and narrow down where the large files are located....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/ is full HELP

Hi.. i am having a problem, for some reason my / directory is 100 % full.. and i didn't install or anything on it.. it has almost 2 gig on thr root directory.. maybe i am missing some concept because i do not understand why it get full. it is happening on all three of my system.. and i always... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
9 Replies

2. Solaris

Disks going full??

Dear All I have a problem regarding my Solaris 8 OS . This is regarding the space available in my disk. Although the df -k for /export/home shows 32% capacity I am not able to create any file on the disk. Again, quot -af shows the same output . I have got directories in my /export/home but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk full

Please solve the following NOTICE HTFS:No space on dev hd(1/42) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msuheel
2 Replies

4. AIX

heapdump full the /

Hi everybody; Javaecore files and heapdump created every day in my system in the "/" and make it full. Is there any way to disable this core files or change there directory from the "/" to "/tmp". Note that AIX level is 5.2 with ML 6. BeSt ReGaRs (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalifah
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Partition?

Hi Everyone, I think I've filled up one of the partitions on my drive. I suspect that one of the applications I've been running has been spitting out junk files to this partition - most of which can be deleted. The problem is that I have no idea how to go look at what's on that partition and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Choppy
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesystem full

my root filesystem is eventually full "/dev/rdsk/c1d0s0" as a result i cannot boot to the operating system, i booted into the fail safe mode to check the space using df -h command i discover that it is eventually full. Also to my amazement i found that i cannot see the filesystem which mounted on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

/ is full

/ has become full.... So i'm unable to login to the server. What should i do now ?? please help me... Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
4 Replies

9. AIX

100% Inode full with only 67% FS full.

AIX Version 6.1 and 7.1. I understand that when the OS initially creates the FS and inodes, its pretty strict, but not always tuned to a 1:1 ratio. I see the same thing when adding a whole disk LV to a separate device. It seems that when we expand a filesystem the inodes don't get tuned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies
mkdevalloc(1M)                                            System Administration Commands                                            mkdevalloc(1M)

NAME
mkdevalloc - Make device_allocate entries SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkdevalloc DESCRIPTION
The mkdevalloc command writes to standard out a set of device_allocate(4) entries describing the system's frame buffer, audio and removable media devices. The mkdevalloc command is used by the init.d(4) scripts to create or update the /etc/security/device_allocate file. Entries are generated based on the device special files found in /dev. For the different categories of devices, the mkdevalloc command checks for the following files under /dev: audio /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl, /dev/sound/... tape /dev/rst*, /dev/nrst*, /dev/rmt/... floppy /dev/diskette, /dev/fd*, /dev/rdiskette, /dev/rfd* removable disk /dev/sr*, /dev/nsr*, /dev/dsk/c0t?d0s?, /dev/rdsk/c0t?d0s? frame buffer /dev/fb All entries set the device-minimum and device-maximum fields to the hex representations of ADMIN_LOW and ADMIN_HIGH, respectively. The device-authorization field is set to solaris.device.allocate, except for the framebuffer entry, where it is set to *. The device-name, device-type and device-clean fields are set to the following values: device-name device-type device-clean audio audio audio audio_clean_wrapper tape mag_tape_0,1,... st st_clean floppy floppy_0,1,... fd disk_clean removable disk cdrom_0,1,... sr disk_clean frame buffer framebuffer fb /bin/true ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
mkdevalloc might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris operating system. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 mkdevalloc(1M)