Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: what should I use?
Operating Systems BSD what should I use? Post 53366 by obitus on Tuesday 13th of July 2004 03:42:43 PM
Old 07-13-2004
I would suggest against using BSD for a normal desktop machine. Don't get me wrong, I have a FreeBSD workstation, however it's primary target is not desktop.

A breakdown of which BSD is suited for which task:

FreeBSD:
Great general server. Extremely stable and fast. Pretty much anything that is disk->network or network->disk, FreeBSD is great for. (Web Server, News Server, Mail Server) This includes machine that are going to handle extreme load.

OpenBSD:
Great for secuirty. This includes firewalls, authentication servers (kerberos), VPNs (IPSEC for example) and other network security tasks.

NetBSD:
Great for odd hardware. NetBSD will run on pretty much anything. If you have some odd machine you'd like to run unix on, check out NetBSD.

There are just general overviews, it is not saying that OpenBSD won't make a good web server, or FreeBSD is insecure, it is just pointing out the strongest points of each *BSD operating system.

UUID_COMPARE(3) 						    Libuuid API 						   UUID_COMPARE(3)

NAME
uuid_compare - compare whether two UUIDs are the same SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid.h> int uuid_compare(uuid_t uu1, uuid_t uu2) DESCRIPTION
The uuid_compare function compares the two supplied uuid variables uu1 and uu2 to each other. RETURN VALUE
Returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if uu1 is found, respectively, to be lexicographically less than, equal, or greater than uu2. AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuid_clear(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux May 2009 UUID_COMPARE(3)