Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: backslash issues
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers backslash issues Post 53261 by anarchie on Friday 9th of July 2004 08:53:33 AM
Old 07-09-2004
If you're using cygwin, it has always let me get away with regular slashes instead of backslashes. Even with "c:/Program Files" and the like.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backslash in find command

When I run my script in debug mode I see that \ is not getting executed as part of command. It is being treated as escape character. find ${DATABASE_PARAM_PATH} -mtime +${RETENTION_PERIOD} -exec rm -rf {} \; Command execution output in debug mode : find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findprakash
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping backslash

I have a variable containt something like this, c:\mask\mask. How can I escape "\" in the values? I want the value as it it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

double backslash in ksh

Hi I need the "\\hello" (without double quotes) to be written to a file. echo "\\\\hello" >file is working under bash shell but not working under ksh shell (gives only one / in the output) Please advise. TIA Prvn (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use backslash and variables in sed

I have a line that contains backslashes in which I want sed to substitute text with variables. The line; \\s008\2033330user$ I want to change this in \\s008.ourschool.com\2033330user$ I now use this script: USER=2033330user sed 's/\\'"$USER"'/.ourschool.com\\'"$USER/" This doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tubbie
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./configure backslash questions

Hello all. I am going to try my hand at compiling tarballs rather than installing packages. I have a pretty good understanding of the process and have even compiled/installed Top from source. But that was an easy install, I want to try something more complex using the various configure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo backslash

If I echo "\\" I get a backslash returned ~$ echo "\\" \ Why doesn't this work: string=`echo "\\"` echo $string I get the error message: bash: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' bash: command substitution: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird behavior of backslash, please help!!

Hi I am getting absurd behavior of escape character in echos as followed:oinlcso003{arsadm} #: echo "\as shdd" \as shdd oinlcso003{arsadm} #: echo "Well, isn't that \"special\"?" Well, isn't that "special"? oinlcso003{arsadm} #: echo "Well, isn't that \special\?" Well, isn't that \special\?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep for a backslash question

Why does this work when grepping for a backslash? grep '\\' .bash_history grep "" .bash_historyWhy does this not work when grepping for a backslash? grep "\\" .bash_historyI know this works works but just don't understand why I need 4 backslashes when using double quotes. grep "\\\\"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Disappearing backslash

Let's say I have a text file called process.out that contains: cn=long\, ann,cn=users cn=doe\, john,cn=users I need to have the following appended in the beginning ldapdelete -h $OIDHOST So the final output looks like: ldapdelete -h $OIDHOST "cn=long\, ann,cn=users" ldapdelete -h... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not to Escape Backslash in script

Hello Folks, I am looking for a bash script which check the ftp server connection status and transfer success/failure also final stage is like if the transfer/connection failed, i should get an email. First stage - checking for login success or not #!/bin/bash HOST='your.ftp.site'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
3 Replies
File::DosGlob(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					File::DosGlob(3pm)

NAME
File::DosGlob - DOS like globbing and then some SYNOPSIS
require 5.004; # override CORE::glob in current package use File::DosGlob 'glob'; # override CORE::glob in ALL packages (use with extreme caution!) use File::DosGlob 'GLOBAL_glob'; @perlfiles = glob "..\pe?l/*.p?"; print <..\pe?l/*.p?>; # from the command line (overrides only in main::) > perl -MFile::DosGlob=glob -e "print <../pe*/*p?>" DESCRIPTION
A module that implements DOS-like globbing with a few enhancements. It is largely compatible with perlglob.exe (the M$ setargv.obj version) in all but one respect--it understands wildcards in directory components. For example, "<..\l*b\file/*glob.p?"> will work as expected (in that it will find something like '..libFile/DosGlob.pm' alright). Note that all path components are case-insensitive, and that backslashes and forward slashes are both accepted, and preserved. You may have to double the backslashes if you are putting them in literally, due to double-quotish parsing of the pattern by perl. Spaces in the argument delimit distinct patterns, so "glob('*.exe *.dll')" globs all filenames that end in ".exe" or ".dll". If you want to put in literal spaces in the glob pattern, you can escape them with either double quotes, or backslashes. e.g. "glob('c:/"Program Files"/*/*.dll')", or "glob('c:/Program Files/*/*.dll')". The argument is tokenized using "Text::ParseWords::parse_line()", so see Text::ParseWords for details of the quoting rules used. Extending it to csh patterns is left as an exercise to the reader. EXPORTS (by request only) glob() BUGS
Should probably be built into the core, and needs to stop pandering to DOS habits. Needs a dose of optimizium too. AUTHOR
Gurusamy Sarathy <gsar@activestate.com> HISTORY
o Support for globally overriding glob() (GSAR 3-JUN-98) o Scalar context, independent iterator context fixes (GSAR 15-SEP-97) o A few dir-vs-file optimizations result in glob importation being 10 times faster than using perlglob.exe, and using perlglob.bat is only twice as slow as perlglob.exe (GSAR 28-MAY-97) o Several cleanups prompted by lack of compatible perlglob.exe under Borland (GSAR 27-MAY-97) o Initial version (GSAR 20-FEB-97) SEE ALSO
perl perlglob.bat Text::ParseWords perl v5.16.3 2013-03-04 File::DosGlob(3pm)