Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What exactly is Stock Bit (t) Post 5319 by patvdv on Friday 10th of August 2001 12:05:00 PM
Old 08-10-2001
The sticky bit on /tmp will prevent users from deleting files any others than owned by themselves.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
sticky(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 sticky(8)

Name
       sticky - executable files with persistent text

Description
       The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000), is used to indicate special treatment for certain executable files and directories.

While the sticky bit, mode 01000 is set on a sharable executable file, the text of that file will not be removed from the system swap area.
       Thus the file does not have to be fetched from the file system upon each execution.  As long as a copy remains in the swap area, the origi-
       nal  text  cannot  be  overwritten  in  the file system, nor can the file be deleted.  Directory entries can be removed so long as one link
       remains.

Sharable files are made by the and options of

To replace a sticky file that has been used, clear the sticky bit with and execute the old program to flush the swapped copy.  This can	be
       done  safely  even  if others are using it.  Overwrite the sticky file.	If the file is being executed by any process, writing will be pre-
       vented.	It suffices to simply remove the file and then rewrite it, being careful to reset the owner and mode with and Set the  sticky  bit
       again.

A  directory  whose  sticky bit is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is
       restricted.  A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the  directory  and
       the  user  is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the superuser.  This feature is usefully applied to directories such as
       which must be publicly writeable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files.

Restrictions
       Only the superuser can set the sticky bit.

See Also
       chmod(2)

RISC								 sticky(8)