Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: changing password
Operating Systems Solaris changing password Post 53104 by malcom on Tuesday 6th of July 2004 06:06:08 AM
Old 07-06-2004
Hi,

I am not sure if I understood your question right ... but if you mean how you can see when a user changed his password and where, you can/should do two things.

The first thing, which is necessary anyway for a user system, is to monitor the passwd/shadow files ... Then you see when something changed.
An to see where the password was changed you could activate/configure the accounting on the machine.

But why do you want to know this ?

regards
malcom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Changing With NIS

SCO OpenServer 5.05 Has anyone ever received this error when attempting to change/assign a user password? #ypasswd ======================================= yppasswd: (host name) is not running yppasswd daemon Password request denied. Reason: Remote password change request denied.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing password is to short ?

Hello im trying to change the user password with passwd but when I enter the password it gives me this msg: passwd: Password too short - must be at least 6 characters. BUT the thing is that the initial password was 4 letters why now it asking for 6 ? tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Changing root password

I have two unix system A and B with same configuration. I can use remsh from A system login to B system as root, but when I want to change the root password of B system, it ask me the old password, but i forgot it. However, is it possible to change the B system root password? :( Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zetadhell
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Changing Password in NIS

Friends I want to know whether i can change the password of a user logged in thru NIS from a client machine after stopping the YP services in NIS server. Note - The Slave server is up and running. I tried doing this. But i got the reply "Permission Denied". I stopped the YP services in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: efunds
7 Replies

6. Linux

Problem changing user password

Hi all, I'm having an issue resetting an Linux user password. As root, I type 'passwd <username>, enter the new password, but the user is still Access Denied. Can someone assist me in figuring this one out? The box is running "Linux trm62 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris user changing password

i created 1 user . Now its passwd time period get expired. Now how can I set password for that user. Also how can I set a condition such a way that after every 3 months user must change his passwd. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitkraj
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing the password prompt

Is there any way I can change the prompt which asks for the password on a UNIX system? e.g. When I login using Telnet instead of "Password" I should get "Correct Password". Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

password changing

Hi all Im trying to learn the basics of bash and am struggling with some file manipulation. I am trying to run a script that once you have logged in allows you to change your password which is held (along with the corresponding username) in a different file called usernames. When i try to run my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
2 Replies

10. AIX

Changing root password

I want to change the root password on an AIX box. What is the best method to do this so i do not get myself locked out. When I do i search the results come up for resetting the password if you are locked out. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierfek
5 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)