Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron Script Question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron Script Question Post 53049 by cbkihong on Saturday 3rd of July 2004 03:39:39 AM
Old 07-03-2004
The problem seems to be with the location from which cron executes "java MyJavaClass". It seems like the class MyJavaClass.class cannot even be found in the classpath, so the NoClassDefFoundError exception is thrown. There is no output as the error is sent to standard error so your MyJavaClass.out becomes truncated.

What you need to do is to explicitly put a "cd" in the cron line to change the CWD before invoking java, like

cd /some/dir && java MyJavaClass > MyJavaClass.out

You cannot qualify the class with any path, as you probably know, since java expects a class name (optionally with package) as argument which at most only has dots denoting package, not a path with slashes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about Cron jobs?

I can see where the nohup command can come in very handy. My question is, do you have to do something like this (nohup) in order to run certain cron jobs? On the windows side, I have a couple of scripts that basically run continuously, so all I have to do is ctrl-alt-del to lock my workstation,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron question

I'm new to cron, What does this syntax mean? 0 5 * * 1-5 /u08/0ra33/run_arch.sh thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted
2 Replies

3. AIX

CRON Question

Could someone please tell me how I might specify in cron that I want a job to run only on the "last saturday" of the month? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DenD
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about cron

I have a script which goes out and installs a package on a box remotely and im trying to get it to add a cron job too..but im having a few problems, whilst it does add the entry it wont run unless I connect to the machine , crontab -e, then :wq. This re-reads the configuration file and it will now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron question

Folks; I have this script in SUN which if i run it using command line, it works fine, but when i run it using cron, it work but it misses one thing. here's the details #!/bin/bash cd /opt/new_script for i in ./report*Groups.sh; do $i $1; done This script above when runs through cron, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron question

folks; This might sounds stupid, but i tried few ways to solve it without luck. I need to run a job on the first Saturday of every month at 10 pm. so far i'm not sure what am i doing wrong, but every time i set it, it always run every Saturday instead of the first Saturday of every month. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a script in cron question

There is this script I'd like to put into cron, but it asks for date verification. It'll prompt you to press enter to continue. Usually, 100% of the time the dates are ok, so is there a way to run this script in cron and bypass the "enter" prompt? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding the cron

Hi, We have developed the script which will send an (html)attachment in through mail. The stand alone script is working fine ,but when we schedule it cron the "nail" command is not working that is we are not receving any mail. Following is the command which we used to send the mail. :confused:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron shell script question

Hi all, hopefully someone out there can give me some tips on how to resolve this I have a simple shell script who -u > /tmp/userlog one of the line stored in userlog when executing shell script manually: jim123 pts/24 2012-03-30 13:02 00:56 4131 (xya.dsfgds.com) one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux_Novice
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)