Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /etc/fstab
Operating Systems Linux /etc/fstab Post 52811 by byblyk on Saturday 26th of June 2004 06:26:18 PM
Old 06-26-2004
/etc/fstab

I've created a new drive and i've added it to my fstab file but on startup it will not mount. here is how i put it into my fstab file, is that right?
Code:
/dev/hdb2               /disk2a                 ext3    defaults        1 2

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 10-21-2010 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab question

Folks; Please be patient with this issue when you read it. I know it's a little tricky. I have a new share created on my SUSE 10 box. I'm trying to edit the /etc/fstab file or find a way to make this share needs no authentication. The reason for that is we're using an outside application to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FSTAB Problem

Hello, I transferred a machine from a tape back into a virtual machine. I created several paritions so I could xfter the date into them and made sda1 the active one. When I try and boot the VM it does not work. I used KNOPPIX to create the partitions and transfer the information from the tape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Using a variable in fstab

We have a load of servers which require cloning in VMWare, each of which have their own area on netapp for storage. I was trying to be a bit clever and use a variable within /etc/fstab so I dont need to edit it every time like so; netapp:/vol/vol_nfs_server/servers/`hostname | sed 's/\./ /g' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab

hi , i'm creating a shell script using fstab for my project of last year, i wonder you can help me to know what is the command allow me to get the list of unmounted partitions. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux001
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

fstab question

I have created a thumbdrive with a bootable version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it uses Grub legacy. One of the issues I have is that everytime I boot a new system from the thumbdrive, it writes entries for the partitions in the fstab. Consequently, when I boot another system, the OS reads the fstab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add option to fstab

I need as script (awk/sed?) to add noatime option to fstab. It should append ,noatime to whatever is in column 4 if noatime isn't already there, leaving comments alone. input: # /etc/fstab # Created by anaconda on Mon Oct 31 20:44:41 2011 # # Accessible filesystems, by reference, are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pblumenthal
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Effects of /etc/fstab file!

Hi Folks! I accidentally overwrote in /etc/fstab file. Can you guys please tell me, what impact it would have created, when I restarted the machine(RHEL6). I executed this command : # blkid /dev/vda5 > /etc/fstab (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
17 Replies

8. Red Hat

Mount /etc/fstab

Can you please help me mount below filesystem in fstab ( I have rhel 5 ) as the line is long - it is not taking as single line How can break this in 2 line and act as one ....please help ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/fstab mount issue

I have a virtual machine with Redhat installed . I am trying to link CD/DVD Drive 1 to /media/cdrom1 and CD/DVD Drive 0 to /media/cdrom0 I tried making these changed in /etc/fstab by adding the below line to it /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterthered
2 Replies

10. Linux

/etc/fstab entries

Hi, Can anyone explain why we use defaults 0 0 in fstab and what does 0 inidicate 10.250.104.50:/home/u /home/u nfs defaults 0 0 Thanks in advance Muzaffar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-REMOUNT-FS.SERVICE(8)				    systemd-remount-fs.service				     SYSTEMD-REMOUNT-FS.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-remount-fs.service, systemd-remount-fs - Remount root and kernel file systems SYNOPSIS
systemd-remount-fs.service /lib/systemd/systemd-remount-fs DESCRIPTION
systemd-remount-fs.service is an early boot service that applies mount options listed in fstab(5) to the root file system, the /usr file system, and the kernel API file systems. This is required so that the mount options of these file systems -- which are pre-mounted by the kernel, the initial RAM disk, container environments or system manager code -- are updated to those listed in /etc/fstab. This service ignores normal file systems and only changes the root file system (i.e. /), /usr and the virtual kernel API file systems such as /proc, /sys or /dev. This service executes no operation if /etc/fstab does not exist or lists no entries for the mentioned file systems. For a longer discussion of kernel API file systems see API File Systems[1]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), fstab(5), mount(8) NOTES
1. API File Systems https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems systemd 237 SYSTEMD-REMOUNT-FS.SERVICE(8)