Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server Post 52748 by Optimus_P on Thursday 24th of June 2004 02:37:06 PM
Old 06-24-2004
i dont believe he is talking about Jumpstarts bootservices.

i think hes talking more about the dtlogin processes.

cdunavent i wouldnt worry about it the stations are just showing you which servers area accessable. If you dont want the solaris station to allow a xwindows sessions at all you can kill the dtlogin process on the solaris server itself.

the daemon is started at boot on in /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin

btw the configuration for the dt processes is by default in /usr/dt/config. but if /etc/dt/config exhists it reads that dir first.

if you dont want to have the server show up on other stations you can stop the xdm processes.

http://www.netsys.com/cgi-bin/man2html?xdm(1)

(hint check out teh Xaccess file to stop it from broadcasting)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

broadcasting failed 'su root'

hi, if i try to 'su' to root and enter the wrong password, the failed su is broadcastet to all user logged in on the machine. Anyone know where i can stop that broadcast? thanks Lazzar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

radio broadcasting

hi I wanna make radio broadcasting from my web page. I am planning to use a linux server. I have no idea about how can I do :( I heard about RealPlayer can be used but ,unfortunatelly, I don't know how! Any suggestions and advices are welcome.... thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

3. Programming

HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C

I am trying to write a client server chat program in C and am unsure as to how I would broadcast all the users IDs over the network. At the moment I have the usernames stored in a array clientsock.cl_id, I am able to output this information to the server but am unsure how to transmit this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dooker
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SparcStation 20 Crashed. Doesn't boot.

I have sparc Station 20 which is crashed and doesn't boot from the OK prompt except gives me bunch of errors. How can i retrieve my data from the root drive before go for re-installation. This system has Veritas Volume manager on it don't know the version but assume its 2.xxx. Thanks -Adeel (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Sparcstation 5 graphics card in Ultra 1 server

is it possible to swap the Turbo XGX graphics card in the SS5 to the ULTRA server 1 ? and do they use the same type of RAM ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mads-nielsen
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote use of a sparcstation

I am away from my Unix sparcstation and need to work on it remotely via a PC. I can open a PuTTy window and execute line commands. But I've forgotten how to be able to work on a graphical program, like xfig. I know there are some commands to enable this, but can't remember them. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leveson
6 Replies

8. Solaris

boot server / install server

I have a compaq evo n400c. This computer has no cdrom or floppy drive. In order to boot from thumb drive i need to update bios. The only way to boot is network boot from my desktop. I am trying to follow a guide JumpStart Server Configuration ? Solaris 10 I am a bit confused at this steps. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Home broadcasting station

Hi all, I have been searching application for setup a home broadcasting station via Internet. Follows are my search result; Freevo, GeeXboX, Auto-RadioX, Red5, CeBIT, Open Broadcaster etc. I haven't had any experience on their selection. Please shed me some light. Besides where can I find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies
NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)						File Formats Manual					     NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)

NAME
/etc/netscript/network.conf - interface, firewalling, and QoS configuration file. /etc/netscript/if.conf - interface setup shell script file /etc/netscript/qos.conf - QoS setup shell script file /etc/netscript/ipfilter.conf - IP chains filtering shell script file /etc/netscript/srvfilter.conf - server IP filter shell script file DESCRIPTION
This manpage is a place holder until something better is written when the netscript itself has stopped changing rapidly. Please see the README file in the /etc/netscript directory, and READ the configuration files if you need to change them. Apart from net- work.conf, all of them contain sh (1) shell script functions which are there so that various things can be altered or hooked in at the right place. Network.conf contains the full network setup details, including special interface setup for the likes of ciped/pppd/wanconfig, and is fully commented with examples given. UPGRADE PATH FROM KERNEL 2.2.X The firewall/IP filtering stuff in ipfilter.conf is the part that changed radically with the move to iptables and a far better way of set- ting up the IP filtering rules, however the QoS and interface startup/shutdown in if.conf have changed but are backwards compatible with the old 2.2.x ipchains version of netscript for the interface address configuration settings. You will have to set up the filtering again to use iptables by directly using the iptables commands. Also, the kernel 2.2.x version scripts are set up so that iptables is only run on a 2.4.x kernel, otherwise IP forwarding is disabled if beforehand you set IPFWDING_KERNEL to FILTER_ON in network.conf. This means that when you upgrade a box to a 2.4.x router kernel, you should then be able to reboot it and log into remotely and upgrade netscript to the version that will support 2.4.x. In this situation, if you have set old IPFWDING_KERNEL setting to FILTER_ON beforehand in network.conf, all IP forwarding through the box will also be disabled. This means that you can safely remotely upgrade a firewall. SEE ALSO
netscript(8), ipchains(8), iproute(8), brcfg(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Grant <grantma@anathoth.gen.nz>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). BUGS
The author is lazy. He needs to write btter man pages... November 23, 2000 NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)