Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE SUSE 9 - problems accessing CD ROM drive Post 52670 by GandalfWhite on Wednesday 23rd of June 2004 12:04:03 PM
Old 06-23-2004
a further update

for the commands you gave, zazzy, here are the results

% grep "cdrom" /etc/fstab

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro, noauto, user, exec 0 0

% ls -l /dev/cdrom

lrwxrwxrwx 1root root 3 June 12:51 /dev/cdrom -> hdd

I'm going to try the mount command as soon as I get a chance to reboot.

Ta muchily!!! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Files on another drive

Hey..alright heres the deal I'm going to do a triple boot if you would Win98SE, Win2K, and Redhat Linux 7.1 now I have two HDs each with 30 gigs i've allowed one HD to the OS's with 10 gigs each...the third I intend to be one for windows to pull things thats compliant with both 98 and 2k and store... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PravusMentis
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CD-ROM Problems

I am having problems booting to my external CD-ROM drive. When I try to run the command "boot cdrom" from my OK prompt I get the error "SCSI device 6,0 is not responding, Can't open boot device". Also, when I run the command "test cdrom", I get the error "SCSI device 6,0 is not responding, cdrom... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saucierm
5 Replies

3. Solaris

external DVD-ROM drive for our datacentre

Hi there In our Data centre we have a mixture of SPARCS running from v100 and ultra10's to v800 and v1250 boxes we also have a large amount of x86 X2100 and X4100 boxes I am looking to purchase an external DVD-ROM drive that we can plug into the back of any of the boxes if we need to (I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

4. Gentoo

Not detecting CD ROm drive

Hello All, I am pretty new to Linux, When trying to install TurboLinux 6.0 through a boot floppy, After a while it says to insert the CD and later it is not recognizing the CDROM, SO do we need to mount the CD-ROM before installation ?? Thanks in Advance :) S (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
13 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Accessing all of the hard drive...

Hi, I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu yesterday. It's the first time I have used it, so bear with me. I think I figured out how to get my sound drivers to work (X-Fi)... I had downloaded some OSS drivers, bout to go test them. But what I really want to know is... I have 2 hard drive,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blind melon
2 Replies

6. Solaris

cd rom to dvd rom drive swap

Hello, I need to replace a cd rom drive with a dvd rom drive in a SunFire v120 running Solaris 8. My objective is to install Solaris 10 from dvd disc. Downloading Solaris 10 cd discs is not an option since I am in Baghdad, Iraq and connection speeds are horrible. So far, all I can get is power to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 555
9 Replies

7. HP-UX

External DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP rp7400

Please help me > How to diag the external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device only showing all disks >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpuser
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not?on HP rp74000

old clunker - rp74000 How to diag the external DVD-ROM drives issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 Please help me > I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpuser
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 5.3 on p275 - DVD-ROM drive not recognized

I was having problems with the DVD-ROM drive not being recognized. I thought it was a configuration issue, but it appears to be a hardware problem. Now the system hangs at boot. This last time I tried it, it said: At which point, it hangs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smithfarm
1 Replies

10. SCO

Problem setting up CD-ROM drive

Whenever I click the icon on the SCO desktop, I get an error stating the following: Cannot stat '/dev/cd0' no such device or address (error 6) After looking around for a bit, it seemed like I just needed to run mkdev cdrom to setup the CD-ROM drive. I checked the BIOS settings to get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsnatl
2 Replies
EJECT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  EJECT(1)

NAME
eject -- eject a floppy disk, cdrom or tape SYNOPSIS
eject [-fv] [-l | -L | -U] [-t device-type] [-d] device eject -n DESCRIPTION
The eject program ejects a medium from the specified device. It can also load a cdrom in the drive if this operation is supported by the hardware. The device argument specifies a device either by its full path name (identified by a /dev/ prefix), or by one of the built-in nicknames. If the medium contains a file system that is currently mounted, eject will attempt to unmount the file system before ejecting. The following options are available: -d Deprecated. -f Force the eject operation without attempting to unmount any file systems first. -l Load media in the drive (only supported for the cdrom device type). -L Lock the media into the drive (but see BUGS below). -n List the built-in nicknames on standard output. -t device-type Specify the device type. The argument must be one of diskette, floppy, cdrom, disk, or tape. This option is necessary when ejecting a device for which no built-in knowledge is available. -U Unlock the media from the drive. -v Display some of the actions taken on standard output. BUGS
Most disk drivers automatically lock the media on the first open and unlock it on the last close, making 'eject -L' almost useless, since when it closes the device, it gets unlocked again. BSD
October 6, 2001 BSD