Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: writing a timer
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting writing a timer Post 52621 by google on Tuesday 22nd of June 2004 09:49:44 PM
Old 06-22-2004
A twirling bar
Code:
function rotate
{
# PURPOSE: This function is used to give the end user some feedback that 
# 	"something" is running.  It gives a line twirling in a circle.
#	This function is started as a background process. Assign its' PID
#    to a variable using:
#
#             rotate &      # To start 
#             ROTATE_PID=$! # Get the PID of the last background job
#
#       At the end of execution just break out by killing the $ROTATE_PID
#       process. We also need to do a quick "cleanup" of the left over 
#       line of rotate output. 
#
#           FROM THE SCRIPT:
#             kill -9 $ROTATE_PID
#             echo "\b\b   "

INTERVAL=1     # Sleep time between "twirls"
TCOUNT="0"	    # For each TCOUNT the line twirls one increment

while :        # Loop forever...until this function is killed
do
	TCOUNT=`expr $TCOUNT + 1`   # Increment the TCOUNT

case $TCOUNT in
		"1")	echo '-'"\b\c"
			sleep $INTERVAL
			;;
		"2")	echo '\\'"\b\c"
			sleep $INTERVAL
			;;
		"3")	echo "|\b\c"
			sleep $INTERVAL
			;;
		"4")	echo "/\b\c"
			sleep $INTERVAL
			;;
		*)	TCOUNT="0" ;;  # Reset the TCOUNT to "0", zero.
	esac
done
} # End of Function - rotate

or dots...
Code:
function dots
{
     while true
     do
          echo ".\c"
     done
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

reply timer

Neo, can u please shorten the reply timer to like 1 min or so. It is prolly just me but i end up passing on replying to posts due to i hate waiting for my timer to reset w/ a 2.5 mins wait. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. Programming

generating timer

I'm trying generate an interrupt every 1 seconds using itimer and My clock is not running. This is what i did : printf("about to sleep for 1 second \n"); signal(SIGALRM, wakeup); //myTimer.it_interval.tv_sec=0; //myTimer.it_interval.tv_usec =0; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Confuse
5 Replies

3. AIX

how to implement timer

anyone can help me how to implement the timer on AIX? I tried with 'setitimer' and its related functions, but it does not work correctly,the program exited each time. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

timer

Hi all, Wanted to a create a shell script ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 1) which when called will start a timer and wait for 48 hours. after 48 hours it will call some function(say XYZ) 2) Whenever this shell script is called (can be called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

VNC Timer

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foweja
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timer for VNC

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foweja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timer interrupt

hello all since a process running in kernel mode cannnot be preempted by any other process what would be the status of Timer interrupt that occurs when the time quantum of a process is elapsed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timer

Is there a way to make a timer? E.g Please give the seconds... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aekaramg20
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timer

is there a timer function in unix without using C? for example i want to display a message after 5 seconds how do i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing only timing statistics output of Timer to File

I'm running long integrations on a remote server, and I'm working in terminal in a tcsh shell. I'm looking to write ONLY the timing statistics to a file. For example: $time ls >timer.out writes both the files in my current directory & the timer statistics to the file timer.out. I only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elemonier
2 Replies
SLEEP(3)								 1								  SLEEP(3)

sleep - Delay execution

SYNOPSIS
int sleep (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Delays the program execution for the given number of $seconds. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - Halt time in seconds. RETURN VALUES
Returns zero on success, or FALSE on error. If the call was interrupted by a signal, sleep(3) returns a non-zero value. On Windows, this value will always be 192 (the value of the WAIT_IO_COMPLETION constant within the Windows API). On other platforms, the return value will be the number of seconds left to sleep. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the specified number of $seconds is negative, this function will generate a E_WARNING. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.4 | | | | | | | Before PHP 5.3.4, on Windows, sleep(3) always | | | returns NULL when sleep has occurred, regardless | | | of whether the sleep was interrupted or not. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 sleep(3) example <?php // current time echo date('h:i:s') . " "; // sleep for 10 seconds sleep(10); // wake up ! echo date('h:i:s') . " "; ?> This example will output (after 10 seconds) 05:31:23 05:31:33 SEE ALSO
usleep(3), time_nanosleep(3), time_sleep_until(3), set_time_limit(3). PHP Documentation Group SLEEP(3)