Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server Post 52576 by rhfrommn on Tuesday 22nd of June 2004 10:33:14 AM
Old 06-22-2004
I recently had to turn off some boot servers on more recent versions of solaris. I expect this would be the same for you, but you may need to look at some man pages to verify that on your older version.

The things I did were:

1. Comment out the tftp line from /etc/inetd.conf. This prevents it from accepting tftp connections after you boot it.

2. Kill the rpc.bootparamd process and the in.rarpd process.

3. Delete the file /etc/bootparams.

4. If it is there, delete the file /etc/ethers.

5. Remove the /tftpboot directory

Those did the job for me, but like I said you might want to check manpages on all those things to verify that is exactly the same for your situation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

broadcasting failed 'su root'

hi, if i try to 'su' to root and enter the wrong password, the failed su is broadcastet to all user logged in on the machine. Anyone know where i can stop that broadcast? thanks Lazzar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

radio broadcasting

hi I wanna make radio broadcasting from my web page. I am planning to use a linux server. I have no idea about how can I do :( I heard about RealPlayer can be used but ,unfortunatelly, I don't know how! Any suggestions and advices are welcome.... thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

3. Programming

HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C

I am trying to write a client server chat program in C and am unsure as to how I would broadcast all the users IDs over the network. At the moment I have the usernames stored in a array clientsock.cl_id, I am able to output this information to the server but am unsure how to transmit this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dooker
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SparcStation 20 Crashed. Doesn't boot.

I have sparc Station 20 which is crashed and doesn't boot from the OK prompt except gives me bunch of errors. How can i retrieve my data from the root drive before go for re-installation. This system has Veritas Volume manager on it don't know the version but assume its 2.xxx. Thanks -Adeel (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Sparcstation 5 graphics card in Ultra 1 server

is it possible to swap the Turbo XGX graphics card in the SS5 to the ULTRA server 1 ? and do they use the same type of RAM ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mads-nielsen
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote use of a sparcstation

I am away from my Unix sparcstation and need to work on it remotely via a PC. I can open a PuTTy window and execute line commands. But I've forgotten how to be able to work on a graphical program, like xfig. I know there are some commands to enable this, but can't remember them. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leveson
6 Replies

8. Solaris

boot server / install server

I have a compaq evo n400c. This computer has no cdrom or floppy drive. In order to boot from thumb drive i need to update bios. The only way to boot is network boot from my desktop. I am trying to follow a guide JumpStart Server Configuration ? Solaris 10 I am a bit confused at this steps. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Home broadcasting station

Hi all, I have been searching application for setup a home broadcasting station via Internet. Follows are my search result; Freevo, GeeXboX, Auto-RadioX, Red5, CeBIT, Open Broadcaster etc. I haven't had any experience on their selection. Please shed me some light. Besides where can I find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies
rpc.bootparamd(1M)					  System Administration Commands					rpc.bootparamd(1M)

NAME
rpc.bootparamd, bootparamd - boot parameter server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd [-d] DESCRIPTION
rpc.bootparamd is a server process that provides information from a bootparams database to diskless clients at boot time. See bootparams(4) The source for the bootparams database is determined by the nsswitch.conf(4) file (on the machine running the rpc.bootparamd process). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Display debugging information. FILES
/etc/bootparams boot parameter data base /etc/nsswitch.conf configuration file for the name-service switch ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1),svcadm(1M), bootparams(4), nsswitch.conf(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
A diskless client requires service from at least one rpc.bootparamd process running on a server that is on the same IP subnetwork as the diskless client. Some routines that compare hostnames use case-sensitive string comparisons; some do not. If an incoming request fails, verify that the case of the hostname in the file to be parsed matches the case of the hostname called for, and attempt the request again. The rpc.bootparamd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/rpc/bootparams Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2004 rpc.bootparamd(1M)