Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server Post 52574 by cdunavent on Tuesday 22nd of June 2004 10:19:35 AM
Old 06-22-2004
SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one.

I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log into their X-Terminals, they now see my box as one of the possible machines to log into

This is a bad thing.

Any ideas??

TIA,

-cd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

broadcasting failed 'su root'

hi, if i try to 'su' to root and enter the wrong password, the failed su is broadcastet to all user logged in on the machine. Anyone know where i can stop that broadcast? thanks Lazzar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

radio broadcasting

hi I wanna make radio broadcasting from my web page. I am planning to use a linux server. I have no idea about how can I do :( I heard about RealPlayer can be used but ,unfortunatelly, I don't know how! Any suggestions and advices are welcome.... thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

3. Programming

HELP broadcasting client IDs to network in C

I am trying to write a client server chat program in C and am unsure as to how I would broadcast all the users IDs over the network. At the moment I have the usernames stored in a array clientsock.cl_id, I am able to output this information to the server but am unsure how to transmit this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dooker
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SparcStation 20 Crashed. Doesn't boot.

I have sparc Station 20 which is crashed and doesn't boot from the OK prompt except gives me bunch of errors. How can i retrieve my data from the root drive before go for re-installation. This system has Veritas Volume manager on it don't know the version but assume its 2.xxx. Thanks -Adeel (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Sparcstation 5 graphics card in Ultra 1 server

is it possible to swap the Turbo XGX graphics card in the SS5 to the ULTRA server 1 ? and do they use the same type of RAM ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mads-nielsen
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote use of a sparcstation

I am away from my Unix sparcstation and need to work on it remotely via a PC. I can open a PuTTy window and execute line commands. But I've forgotten how to be able to work on a graphical program, like xfig. I know there are some commands to enable this, but can't remember them. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leveson
6 Replies

8. Solaris

boot server / install server

I have a compaq evo n400c. This computer has no cdrom or floppy drive. In order to boot from thumb drive i need to update bios. The only way to boot is network boot from my desktop. I am trying to follow a guide JumpStart Server Configuration ? Solaris 10 I am a bit confused at this steps. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Home broadcasting station

Hi all, I have been searching application for setup a home broadcasting station via Internet. Follows are my search result; Freevo, GeeXboX, Auto-RadioX, Red5, CeBIT, Open Broadcaster etc. I haven't had any experience on their selection. Please shed me some light. Besides where can I find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies
NDBOOTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						NDBOOTD(8)

NAME
ndbootd -- Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol server SYNOPSIS
ndbootd [-s boot2] [-i interface] [-w windowsize] [-d] boot1 DESCRIPTION
ndbootd is a server which supports the Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol. This protocol was designed by Sun before they designed NFS. ND sim- ply makes the raw blocks of a disk available to network clients. Contrast this with the true namespace and file abstractions that NFS pro- vides. The only reason you're likely to encounter ND nowadays is if you have an old Sun 2 machine, like the 2/120 or 2/50. The Sun 2 PROMs can only use ND to boot over the network. (Later, the Sun 3 PROMs would use RARP and TFTP to boot over the network.) ndbootd is a very simple ND server that only supports client reads for booting. It exports a disk that the clients consider to be /dev/ndp0 (ND public unit zero). The disk is available only to clients that are listed in /etc/ethers and have valid hostnames. (Sun 2 PROMs don't do RARP, but they do learn their IP address from the first ND response they receive from the server.) boot1 is a file containing the mandatory first-stage network boot program, typically /usr/mdec/bootyy. The layout of the exported disk is: o block 0: normally a Sun disklabel (but ignored by the PROM) o blocks 1-15: the first-stage network boot program With the -s boot2 option, ndbootd will also make a second-stage network boot program available to clients, typically /usr/mdec/netboot. When boot2 is a filename, that file is the single second-stage network boot program to be served to all clients. When boot2 is a directory name, typically /tftpboot, ndbootd finds a client's second-stage network boot program by turning its IP address into a filename in that directory, in the same manner later Sun 3 PROMs do when TFTPing (i.e., if a client has IP address 192.168.1.10, ndbootd expects to find /tftpboot/C0A8010A.SUN2 ). When used in this last manner with an ND-aware first-stage boot program, ndbootd serves the same purpose in the Sun 2 netboot process as tftpd(8) serves in the Sun 3 netboot process. Any second-stage network boot program always begins at block 16 of the exported disk, regardless of the length of the first-stage network boot program. All first- and second-stage network boot programs must have all executable headers stripped off; they must be raw binary programs. The remaining options are: -i interface Only listen for ND clients on interface interface. Normally ndbootd listens for clients on the first non-loopback IP interface that is up and running. -w windowsize This adjusts the window size of the ND protocol. This is the number of 1-kilobyte packets that can be transmitted before waiting for an acknowledgement. Defaults to 6. -d Run in debug mode. Debugging output goes to standard error and the server will not fork. FILES
/etc/ethers /etc/hosts SEE ALSO
tftpd(8) BUGS
Whether or not there is a second-stage network boot program, the exported disk appears to all clients to have infinite length. The content of all blocks not used by the first- or second-stage network boot programs is undefined. All client reads of undefined blocks are silently allowed by the server. BSD
May 9, 2001 BSD