Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Editing the end of the file without loading the entire file Post 52515 by jim mcnamara on Monday 21st of June 2004 02:04:40 PM
Old 06-21-2004
If the file has carriage control - ie., it's a text file this may help:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh -v
# parameters old file = $1
#            new file = $2
# I know this first line is slow... but you need the total
lines=`cat $1 | wc -l`
let lines=lines-1
head -n $lines  $1 > $2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - editing file names (End of line problem?)

For lists in sed, to say what to replace, is this correct: I am hoping that this would recognise that either a "." is present, or that the substitution happens at the end of the line. For files with extensions , my script works perfectly. My problem is, files without extentions, i.e. . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busillis
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy entire file content into another file being in last line mode of vi ?

How to copy entire file content into another file being in last line mode of vi ? ---------- Post updated at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:56 AM ---------- Got it : :1,30w file.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file editing while keeping file format intact

Hi, I am having a file which is fix length and comma seperated. And I want to replace values for one column. I am reading file line by line in variable $LINE and then replacing the string. Problem is after changing value and writing new file temp5.txt, formating of original file is getting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mruda
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy an entire file to specific position to another file

Hi , I need your kind help for my below requirement I need to copy and entire txt file to a certain position to the target file . Source file has 3 lines and it has to be copied to the target file in position from line 10 to 12. Thanks for your support (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subsituting contents of entire file to middle of another file using awk

Hi I have a data file 'File2' consisting of 105670 lines. I want to copy and paste 17928 lines from 'File1' to 'File2' but I want to place it in between lines 21 and 17950 of 'File2'. How do I do it in awk? For example- File A has 5 lines X Y 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and File B has A b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ananyob
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subsituting contents of entire file to middle of another file using awk

Hi I have a data file 'File2' consisting of 105670 lines. I want to copy and paste 17928 lines from 'File1' to 'File2' but I want to place it in between lines 21 and 17950 of 'File2'. How do I do it in awk? For example- File A has 5 lines X Y 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and File B has A b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ananyob
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy entire file to a new file in awk

Hi, How do we write the contents of multiple files created in awk body to a new file in awk (END block) ? when I used "getline", it is consuming more time. Do we have any other way other than getline? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cool
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing entire content of file except spaces at the end

so i have several files that look somewhat like this: { "afafa": "afaf", "afafaa" : "" } <newline> <newline> i want to grab everything in the file except the empty new lines at the end. note, there may be newlines within the content itself. ( "afafa": "afaf",... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing entire fields with specific text at end or beginning of field

Greetings. I've got a csv file with data along these lines: Spumoni's Pizza Place, Placemats n Things, Just Lamps Counterfeit Dollars by Vinnie, Just Shades, Dollar StoreI want to replace the entire comma-delimited field if it matches something ending in "Place" or beginning with "Dollar",... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmfrond
2 Replies
PURITY(6)							   Games Manual 							 PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)