Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Calculate Elapsed Time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculate Elapsed Time Post 52370 by sysera on Thursday 17th of June 2004 01:10:32 AM
Old 06-17-2004
Thank you Ygor, that does exactly what I was looking for. Some day I too will be able to make these insane things up on my own with a little help from examples like yours. Smilie

-Sys

Quote:
Originally posted by Ygor
Convert times to minutes; subtract start time from end time; if negative then started before mignight; print result....
Code:
#!usr/bin/ksh

start="23:45:33 EDT 2004"
end="00:25:06 EDT 2004"

((start_mins = $(expr substr "$start" 1 2)*60 + $(expr substr "$start" 4 2)))
((end_mins = $(expr substr "$end" 1 2)*60 + $(expr substr "$end" 4 2)))
((elapsed_mins = end_mins - start_mins))

if [[ "$elapsed_mins" -lt 0 ]]
then
   ((elapsed_mins += 1440))
fi

if [[ "$elapsed_mins" -gt 59 ]]
then
   print $((elapsed_mins / 60)) hours and $((elapsed_mins % 60)) minutes
else
   print $elapsed_mins minutes
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Displaying elapsed time...

I am trying to display the amount of time that it took for a command to run. I'm assuming that i have the correct code: ... else { printf("I am a child process and my pid is %d\n", getpid()); cout<<"Parameters are: "<<endl; for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jj1814
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Elapsed time

I'm using the Bourne shell and trying to write a script that will add all the time that any particular user has been on the network for. I've used last-h | grep "username" | cut -c 58-62 to get the times. Then I wrote a script that takes the time and converts it into just minutes. Now I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to calculate elapsed time

Hi there, How to calculate the elapsed time in minutes for a particular job run under unix. I tried the following $ ps -efo user,pid,etime,comm,args | grep myscript | grep -v grep | awk -F" " '{print $3}' OUTPUT: 01:02:49 I need to get this output in minutes. Can someone help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthickrn
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Time elapsed?

Hi All, I have 2 variables like SDATE and EDATE. Now for example i ll give you values for the above 2 variables. SDATE=11/08/09 11:22 EDATE=11/09/09 22:33 the values of the above variables are represented like this>>>>>> mm/dd/yy hh:mm Now I want to evaluate total time elapsed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Elapsed time in seconds in awk

I am trying to get the ellapsed time in seconds in the body of the awk script. I use unix date to get the time. It works in BEGIN {} but not in the body {} of awk. Any ideas? $ cat a BEGIN { "date +%s" | getline x print x } { "date +%s" | getline y print y } $ echo "one line" |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arturas123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

elapsed time

Display the elapsed time $ export data_ini = `date +'%s'`; echo $data_ini 1292417961 $ export data_final = `date +'%s'`; echo $data_final 1292418079 $ ((temps = data_final - data_ini)); echo $temps 118 $ echo $((data_final - data_ini)) #total seconds 118 $ echo $(((data_final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aika
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time elapsed since script started

Hi I want to know if there is anyway I can find out how long it has been since I started my script or total time it has been since my script is executing. Idea here is I want to check if my script is taking more than 30minutes to execute I want to kill that process. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashing201
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with elapsed time from text values

I'm extracting two time & date values from a log file, and I need a way to calculate the elapsed time between the two. The values are in this format: Feb 12 10:53:15 Feb 12 10:59:57 The difference is 6 minutes and 42 seconds Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? I've seen lots of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterv6
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two timestamps and print elapsed time

Hi, I am unable to Difference between two time stamps in Linux and display the total elapsed time . Source date: Aug 15, 2012 02:00:03 Target date: Aug 14, 2012 18:00:03 # based on the forums I am using the below function. Converted dates into this format Src_dt=20120814180003... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in : sorting process by their elapsed time: HP-UX

What is the equivalent command of the below linux command would be in hp-ux UNIX95=1 ps -eo pid,start,stime,command Thanks a lot, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rveri
1 Replies
ICONV_SUBSTR(3) 							 1							   ICONV_SUBSTR(3)

iconv_substr - Cut out part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string iconv_substr (string $str, int $offset, [int $length = iconv_strlen($str, $charset)], [string $charset = ini_get("iconv.inter- nal_encoding")]) DESCRIPTION
Cuts a portion of $str specified by the $offset and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $str - The original string. o $offset - If $offset is non-negative, iconv_substr(3) cuts the portion out of $str beginning at $offset'th character, counting from zero. If $offset is negative, iconv_substr(3) cuts out the portion beginning at the position, $offset characters away from the end of $str. o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the return value will contain at most $length characters of the portion that begins at $offset (depending on the length of $string). If negative $length is passed, iconv_substr(3) cuts the portion out of $str from the $offset'th character up to the character that is $length characters away from the end of the string. In case $offset is also negative, the start position is calculated beforehand according to the rule explained above. o $charset - If $charset parameter is omitted, $string are assumed to be encoded in iconv.internal_encoding. Note that $offset and $length parameters are always deemed to represent offsets that are calculated on the basis of the character set determined by $charset, whilst the counterpart substr(3) always takes these for byte offsets. RETURN VALUES
Returns the portion of $str specified by the $offset and $length parameters. If $str is shorter than $offset characters long, FALSE will be returned. SEE ALSO
substr(3), mb_substr(3), mb_strcut(3). PHP Documentation Group ICONV_SUBSTR(3)