Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD 5.2.1
Operating Systems BSD FreeBSD 5.2.1 Post 52356 by dkaplowitz on Wednesday 16th of June 2004 12:12:15 PM
Old 06-16-2004
I look at it in a simple way... If I have a workstation or server that I want to run the latest, unstable versions of software on, then I would install 5.2.1. I would also use 5.2.1 if I had some type of hardware device that wasn't supported in 4.10.

If, OTOH, I was running a server that was connected to the rest of the world and providing potentially insecure services like named, httpd, mail, etc. Then I'd probably choose the stability and security of 4.10...since running bleeding edge is not really a sane choice when running a public server.

Personally, I'm paranoid and I run OpenBSD -STABLE on servers in a DMZ. And in my LAN and on my workstations I run more bleeding edge stuff like FBSD 5.2.1 OBSD-CURRENT and gentoo with ~x86 set in make.conf.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with FreeBSD!!!

Hi I want to write to my output_file using: if((fptr = creat(output_file, _S_IWRITE)) == -1) { printf("output_file..."..); return (1); } for(...) { _write(fptr, buffer, BUF_SIZE); } It says "_S_IWRITE" undeclared!!! Anybody knows what function I can use for that and what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacasa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

What is FreeBSD, who does use Free? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberangel
3 Replies

5. BSD

I want the Best FREEBSD

B]I want the best of the best FreeBSD version for my study in Unix...please sugest me... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
5 Replies

6. BSD

Having problem with FreeBSD 5.3

I just download the FreeBSD 5.3 i386 iso files. And I have a problem now, I can't copy the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso to the cd, I try a lot of times, even change lots of blank cd to try but still cannot. But I can copy the other three iso files, i.e. 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarbageKing
4 Replies

7. BSD

please help me in FreeBSD

Hi to all, Iam doing a project in Free BSD and i am stuck with a puzzle. Please any one of you clarify my doubt : How to add a mechanism to check the status of the file system which alerts the root user via. email if any single partition is greater than 90% full. This alert should include the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadakamalla
3 Replies

8. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

9. Fedora

FreeBSD

I'm using Windows mostly and the only *nix thing I used during my life was cygwin (I like command line :)). But currently I have (by an occasion) a DVD with latest FreeBSD. I don't know why, but I want to install it... But probably, this OS is too difficult for a beginner. I heard, it's used on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeenageWerewolf
3 Replies
ypset(1M)																 ypset(1M)

NAME
ypset - bind to particular Network Information Service server SYNOPSIS
host] domain] server Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). Although the name has changed, the functionality of the service remains the same. DESCRIPTION
tells to get Network Information Service (NIS) services for the specified domain from the process running on server (see ypserv(1M) and ypbind(1M)). server is the NIS server that the NIS client binds to, and is specified as either a host name or an IP address. If server is down or is not running this is not discovered until a local NIS client process tries to obtain a binding for the domain. The daemon then tests the binding set by If the binding cannot be made to the requested server, attempts to rebind to another server in the same domain present in the ypservers file. NOTE: In order to run must be initiated with the or options. For more information on how to initiate see ypbind(1M). The command is useful for binding a client node that is not on a broadcast network. If a client node exists on a broadcast network which has no NIS server running, and if there is a network with one running that is available via a gateway, can establish a binding through that gateway. It is also useful for debugging NIS client applications such as when a NIS map exists only at a single NIS server. In cases where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, it is possible for to rebind to another host, even while you attempt to find out if the operation succeeded. For example, typing followed by and receiving the reply may be confusing. It could occur when host1 does not respond to because its process is not running or is overloaded, and host2, running gets the binding. The server is the NIS server to bind to, specified as either a host name or an IP address. Refer to ypfiles(4) and ypserv(1M) for an overview of the Network Information Service. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Bind server for the Version 2 NIS protocol. Set the binding on host instead of locally. host can be specified as a host name or an IP address. Use domain instead of the default domain returned by (see domainname(1)). DIAGNOSTICS
The user is not root, or ypbind was run without the flags. See ypserv(1M) for explanations of the flags. The user is not root, or ypbind was run without one of the flags. See ypserv(1M) for explanations of the flags. WARNINGS
Starting with ONCplus version B.11.31.02, the NIS Version 1 protocol is no longer available. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypwhich(1), ypserv(1M), ypfiles(4). ypset(1M)