Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What exactly is BSD?
Operating Systems BSD What exactly is BSD? Post 52188 by dkaplowitz on Saturday 12th of June 2004 11:16:41 PM
Old 06-13-2004
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/BSD is a reasonable description of how BSD emerged. There are other better examples out there depending on how much reading you want to do.

I think it's important to point out that many of the current, freely available BSDs already mentioned are distributed under the BSD license which is free, as in beer. It is the most free license in oss currently. It places no restrictions on what you can do with software distributed under the BSD license. The GPL, in comparison, has a lot more restrictions. So this is an important thing to consider when using the BSDs.

Also, I don't agree with the previous poster about a couple points. OpenBSD is very easy to install and with the CDs (or with broadband) it takes me about 10-15 minutes to install. The hardest part of the install is the disklabel program, which is not intuitive the first couple times you run it, but it's extremely well documented (great documentation is another thing OpenBSD is famous for) in the FAQ, and once you've done it 2-3 times, it's a breeze.

Also, FreeBSD installs on many systems, but is certainly more finnicky than OpenBSD or NetBSD about what it installs on.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the BSD OSs have the majority of the market share in WWW servers in the world.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies
Linux::Distribution(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Linux::Distribution(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution - Perl extension to detect on which Linux distribution we are running. SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution qw(distribution_name distribution_version); if(my $distro = distribution_name) { my $version = distribution_version(); print "you are running $distro, version $version "; } else { print "distribution unknown "; } Or else do it OO: use Linux::Distribution qw(distribution_name distribution_version); my $linux = Linux::Distribution->new; if(my $distro = $linux->distribution_name()) { my $version = $linux->distribution_version(); print "you are running $distro, version $version "; } else { print "distribution unknown "; } DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that tries to guess on what linux distribution we are running by looking for release's files in /etc. It now looks for 'lsb-release' first as that should be the most correct and adds ubuntu support. Secondly, it will look for the distro specific files. It currently recognizes slackware, debian, suse, fedora, redhat, turbolinux, yellowdog, knoppix, mandrake, conectiva, immunix, tinysofa, va-linux, trustix, adamantix, yoper, arch-linux, libranet, gentoo, ubuntu, scientific, oracle enterprise linux and redflag. It has function to get the version for debian, suse, fedora, redhat, gentoo, slackware, scientific, oracle enterprise linux, redflag and ubuntu(lsb). People running unsupported distro's are greatly encouraged to submit patches :-) EXPORT None by default. TODO
Add the capability of recognize the version of the distribution for all recognized distributions. AUTHORS
Alexandr Ciornii <alexchorny@gmail.com>, <http://chorny.net> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-18 Linux::Distribution(3pm)