Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need Help
Special Forums Cybersecurity Need Help Post 52172 by obitus on Friday 11th of June 2004 08:10:24 PM
Old 06-11-2004
I don't think you really understand what a honey pot is. A honey pot is a machine with fake services on it that tries to attract crackers and (most of the time) logs them so they can be dealt with.

However, I do commend you on wanting to learn how things work. If you want a good understanding of how unix works, I strongly suggest avoiding alot of main stream Linux distributions and opt for something a little more BSDish (OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Slackware Linux, etc). Another good option for learning about how the operating systems work is Gentoo Linux.

If your focus is security, I'd suggest reading some of the stuff on Packet Storm. However, don't use that information on machine you are not an admin for.

If you focus is how GNU/Linux works, Linux From Scratch will show you how things are glued together from a million parts.

If you focus is operating system design and you know how to code, I'd suggest one of the BSD's (OpenBSD for security).

dialups(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups, d_passwd - dialup security control DESCRIPTION
and are used to control the dialup security feature of (see login(1)). If is present, the first word on each line is compared with the name of the line upon which the login is being performed (including the as returned by (see ttyname(3C)). If the login is occurring on a line found in dialup security is invoked. Anything after a space or tab is ignored. When dialup security is invoked, requests an additional password, and checks it against that found in The command name found in the ``pro- gram to use as shell'' field of is used to select the password to be used. Each entry in consists of three fields, separated by colons. The first is the command name, matching an entry in The second is the encrypted password to be used for dialup security for those users logging in to use that program. The third is commentary, but the second colon is required to delimit the end of the password. A null password is designated with two adjacent colons. The entry for is used if no other entry matches the command name taken from FILES
dial-in tty lines passwords SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(4). dialups(4)