Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers syslog Post 52127 by RTM on Thursday 10th of June 2004 05:23:48 PM
Old 06-10-2004
Check out the man page for logger - it adds entries to the system log. The man page has examples to place messages via syslog.

I have never tried doing it in the way you suggest so I don't have step-by-step instructions via cron.

(After seeing you quote me I thought maybe I wasn't clear enough...)
1. Sign into your system
2. At your prompt, type man logger
3. Look for the examples

A cron job can be a script that is run - inside the script you can send your messages via logger. To get the completion or error codes from cron, you would have to have the output of the email cron sends - you can't send that to logger but would have to create another script.

Last edited by RTM; 06-10-2004 at 06:48 PM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies

2. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- make entries in the system log SYNOPSIS
logger [-is] [-d SD] [-f file] [-m msgid] [-p pri] [-t tag] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
logger provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. Options: -d sd Log this in the structured data (SD) field. (sd has to be passed as one argument and will require careful quoting when used from the shell.) -f file Log the specified file. -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -m msgid The MSGID used for the message. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice''. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag. message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. EXIT STATUS
The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
May 14, 2010 BSD