Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Binding Virtual IP address to NIC Post 52021 by Ronny on Tuesday 8th of June 2004 09:00:45 AM
Old 06-08-2004
I did the binding like this: ifconfig hme0:1 (IP address) (netmask) up.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Can i put 2 ip address in one nic?

I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 and my cuestion is can i have 2 ip address in one nic?, how?. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvl
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check Virtual NIC card speed on solaris

Hi, We have a 4 port Sun gigaswift NIC card on our sun fire server. If the card is a physical one I know how to check the settings/speed. But since this is a virtual card with 4 ports , I am not sure as how we can check the settings. Details ----------- root:/> ifconfig -a lo0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pray44u
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NIC address

how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I determine which NIC card is virtual NIC Card

how can I determine which NIC card is virtual NIC Card which condition can make a decision Does HP UX have Virtual Network Adapter Concept if ,it has where I can Find if I Install Virutal Network Adapter or which command that i can get it or which software can generate thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Binding the IP address

hi all, i have an udp based application that doesn't bind to any particular address. -->while sneding the packets, i have some doubts.... 1) can the packet be transmitted with an source ip address as 0.0.0.0 2) if we select an interface based on destination ip address,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaypdp2006
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would the physical address be for virtual address?

Hi guys, I got one problem which I definetily no idea. What would the physical address be for virtual address? 1) 2ABC 2) 3F4B Here is the page table:see attached Thank you sos sososososso much!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
0 Replies

7. Solaris

MAC spoofing a virtual NIC on Solaris 5.0

Hi everybody! I'm facing a problem and I doubt about the solution (I'm not very familiar with old *NIXs). An external network supplier (let's call them "telco") just installed new communication components that filters MAC addresses. I have a Solaris 5 server, with 1 NIC (hte0) which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Isharfoxat
6 Replies

8. Solaris

create Virtual NIC in Solaris 10

Hi All, does any body know how to create Virtual NIC in Solaris 10 if any one have good article or reference kindly provide me i try to Google but i didn't find good one (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamisux
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

creating virtual nic permenant

am try to create another network card as virtual eth0:1 but when i restart the server it want be appear i have to create it again what is the solution for this . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leganti
6 Replies
IFCONFIG.IF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    IFCONFIG.IF(5)

NAME
ifconfig.if -- interface-specific configuration files or variables DESCRIPTION
The ifconfig.if files or variables contain information regarding the configuration of each network interface. ifconfig.if is processed by /etc/rc.d/network at system boot time. For each interface (nnX) that is to be configured, there should be either an ifconfig_nnX variable in rc.conf(5), or an /etc/ifconfig.nnX file (such as the ifconfig_fxp0 variable or the /etc/ifconfig.fxp0 file for the fxp0 interface). Only characters allowed in sh(1) variables names should be used for nnX (ascii(7) uppercase and lowercase letters, digits, and underscore). The variable or file will get evaluated only if the interface exists on the system. Multiple lines can be placed in a variable or file, and will be evaluated sequentially. In the case of a variable, semicolons may be used instead of newlines, as described in rc.conf(5). <backslash><newline> sequences in files are ignored, so long logical lines may be made up of several shorter physical lines. Normally, a line will be evaluated as command line arguments to ifconfig(8). ``ifconfig nnX'' will be prepended on evaluation. Arguments with embedded shell metacharacters should be quoted in sh(1) style. If the line is equal to ``dhcp'', dhcpcd(8) will be started for the interface. However, it is instead recommended that dhcpcd is set to true in rc.conf(5) and any per interface configuration or restriction is done in dhcpcd.conf(5). If a line is empty, or starts with '#', the line will be ignored as comment. If a line starts with '!', the rest of line will get evaluated as shell script fragment. Shell variables declared in /etc/rc.d/network are accessible but may not be modified. The most useful variable is $int, as it will be bound to the interface being configured with the file. For example, the following illustrates static interface configuration: # IPv4, with an alias inet 10.0.1.12 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 100baseTX inet 10.0.1.13 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias # let us have IPv6 address on this interface inet6 2001:db8::1 prefixlen 64 alias # have subnet router anycast address too inet6 2001:db8:: prefixlen 64 alias anycast The following illustrates dynamic configuration setup with dhclient(8) and rtsol(8): up # autoconfigure IPv4 address !dhclient $int # autoconfigure IPv6 address. Be sure to set $ip6mode to autohost. !rtsol $int The following example sets a network name for a wireless interface (using quotes to protect special characters in the name), and starts dhcpcd(8): ssid 'my network' dhcp The following example is for dynamically-created pseudo interfaces like gif(4). Earlier versions of /etc/rc.d/network required an explicit 'create' command for such interfaces, but creation is now handled automatically. up # configure IPv6 default route toward the interface !route add -inet6 default ::1 !route change -inet6 default -ifp $int FILES
/etc/rc.d/network SEE ALSO
rc.conf(5), ifconfig(8) BSD
April 7, 2011 BSD