Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting a File with an Erroneous Period Post 5202 by PLF on Wednesday 8th of August 2001 07:28:46 PM
Old 08-08-2001
Question Deleting a File with an Erroneous Period

Hi - I am new to the Unix environment and have encountered a problem I can't resolve. I inadvertently created a data file with a
period/dot at the end of the word 'dat', I.e. filename.dat. and can't remove it using the 'rm' command. In attempting to do so, I receive a message reading that the file is not found. This file is HUGE so I'd like to be able to remove it. Does anyone have any idea how I can remove the file? Thank you in advance for any information you provide.

Trish

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

erroneous output

#include<stdio.h> int main () { FILE* f_read; FILE* f_write; char *string; f_read=fopen("file1","r"); while(!feof(f_read)); { fscanf(f_read,"%s",string); fprintf(stdout,"%s\n",string); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace nth character in a file with a period

Hi all, If you look at the example below,I want to replace the 21st character (,) with a period (.). I have 1000 records in a file can someone help me how to do that. Thankyou all in advance. "2008-07-15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackhawk_123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching the lines within a range of time period in a text file

Dear All, Please advice me, I have a text file with one field date and time like below given. I need to find out the lines whchi content the time stamp between Wed May 26 11:03:11 2010 and Wed May 26 11:03:52 2010 both can be included, using awk command which could be an interactive so that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinmayadalai
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Erroneous file concatenation.

I have more than one files in a directory , namely GLOW_OUT.txt FIELD_OUT.txt BASE_OUT.txt ... SHOW_OUT.txt What I wanted to do is to I am working in Korn Shell What I did was : for file in <directory_name>/*.* ;do cat $file | grep -v '^$' >> temp_file rm $file done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace period in a tab delimited file to a number

I have a file like this. It is tab delimited. Unfortunately, the missing data was filled in with a period "." (see the leading lines 1-5 columns) I want to substitute the periods for misisng data with an integer "-999". however, I do not want the global replace to change the other periods seen... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print one sentence 40 to 50 words end with period in a file

Hi All, Is there another way to achieve this? how get short phrase in a sentence with character count of 100 to 155 words end with period but don't end something like 50,000. . Here's my current script but the output is not good. This will use for my snippets or preview. grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

CPU Usage statistics Dump in a text file over a period of time

I am facing issue related to performance of one customized application running on RHEL 5.9. The application stalls for some unknown reason that I need to track. For that I require some tool or shell scripts that can monitor the CPU usage statistics (what we get in TOP or in more detail by other... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
6 Replies