Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A Sad Day for Smarty Jones!
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? A Sad Day for Smarty Jones! Post 51972 by RTM on Monday 7th of June 2004 08:25:44 AM
Old 06-07-2004
My wife's family grew up with horses - jumping and some racing. I've since learned to appreciate it but anytime you have a human involved, I have to wonder about the outcome of a race as big as the third leg of the triple crown. Smarty had no problem with a last minute charge in the Preakness, so it's strange he couldn't do the same in the Belmont. Too much $$$ to pay out if Smarty won?

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find previous month last day minus one day timestamp

Hi All, I need to find the previous month last day minus one day, using shell script. Can you guys help me to do this. My Requirment is as below: Input for me will be 2000909(YYYYMM) I need the previous months last day minus 1 day timestamp. That is i need 2000908 months last day minus ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Does modernity make you sad?

One more "on my mind" question ('cause it's constantly on my mind): does modern technology style make you sad and wishing PCs were like they used to be in 90's? I mean we had awesome UIs like motif, win3.1, warp3/4, cde, etc... HDDs used to load with sound. Web used to be a text on a white... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest115
7 Replies

3. AIX

Sad me - or Happy me? Undecided re: AIX 7.2

AIX 7.2 - needs POWER7 or later With AIX 6.1 it was POWER4 or later - then I was "Happy Me!" because I already had a POWER4 system. With AIX 7.2 - for now I am "sad me" because I do not have a POWER7. However, next week I am going to be speaking at the POWER TechU in Cannes (look me up if you... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelFelt
8 Replies
Acme::POE::Knee(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Acme::POE::Knee(3pm)

NAME
Acme::POE::Knee - Time sliced pony race using the POE kernel. REQUIREMENTS
Acme::POE::Knee requires the POE module to run. You can get that as well from CPAN or look at poe.sourceforge.net SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; # Use POEny! use Acme::POE::Knee; # Every Acme::POE::Knee race will require a set of arguments. # There are defaults but it's just more fun to set these # yourselves. We set a distance the ponies must run and of course # we name our race ponies! You'll have to specify the maximum # delay a pony can have before reaching the next stage. # The lower the delay, the higher the chances are the pony will # win the race. my $pony = new Acme::POE::Knee ( dist => 20, ponies => { 'dngor' => 5, 'Abigail' => 5.2, 'Co-Kane' => 5.4, 'MJD' => 5.6, 'acme' => 5.8, }, ); # start the race $pony->race( ); exit; QUICK LINKS
Please see the samples directory in POE's distribution for several well-commented sample and tutorial programs. Please see <http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/01/poe.html> for an excellent, and more importantly: gradual, introduction to POE. DESCRIPTION
POE::Knee is an acronym of "Pony". We all like ponies. And wouldn't we love to race ponies? Well, that's what Acme::POE::Knee is for! It's great for those friday afternoons at the office, where you wonder who will pay the beer tab. Whoever 'wins' the race, loses! You specify a distance the ponies must run, and a maximum delay before the pony will reach the next step. So, the bigger the delay, the bigger the distance between multiple ponies can be. Of course this wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't name the ponies ourselves. Here, we simply put all our race ponies in an array reference and the Acme::POE::Knee module will take care of the rest. USING Acme::POE::Knee Using Acme::POE::Knee is really easy. This simple progam would already suffice: use strict; use Acme::POE::Knee; my $pony = new Acme::POE::Knee; $pony->race(); exit; This will use the defaults of the POE::Knee module, but you can of course specify your own arguments, as shown in the synopsis. The Use of Acme::POE::Knee Use, yes... Usefull? Probably not. This was written in responce to a rather persistant meme on #perl (you know who you are!). Basicly, we all wanted ponies. Well folks, here it is. It's source might be interesting to look at for newcomers to POE to see how this time slicing works. Learning more about POE The POE Mailing List POE has a mailing list at perl.org. You can receive subscription information by sending e-mail: To: poe-help@perl.org Subject: (anything will do) The message body is ignored. All forms of feedback are welcome. The POE Web Site POE has a web site where the latest development snapshot, along with the Changes file and other stuff may be found: <http://poe.perl.org/> SourceForge POE's development has moved to SourceForge as an experiment in project management. You can reach POE's project summary page at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/poe/>. Author Jos Boumans Jos Boumans is <kane_at_cpan.org>. POE::Knee is his brainchild. Rocco Caputo Rocco Caputo is <troc+poe@netrus.net>. POE itself is his creation. COPYRIGHT Copyright (c) 2001, Jos Boumans. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software. It may be used, redistributed and/or modified under the terms of the Perl Artistic License (see http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html) Except where otherwise noted, POE is Copyright 1998-2001 Rocco Caputo. All rights reserved. POE is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.0 2009-07-21 Acme::POE::Knee(3pm)