Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers backup unix files from a windows machine Post 51888 by Super.Anyak on Friday 4th of June 2004 01:10:22 PM
Old 06-04-2004
Re: backup unix files from a windows machine

Try using a remote desktop system to gain access into your unix box and from there do a backup. You can use a remote desktop system such as VNC to do it. acctually i just remeber VNC right now but i think you can find another one that will support multiple OS.

Another way is to learn the commands to backup from the command line and then use telnet that will grant you access to the unix machine's terminal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify a remote machine as windows or unix

Hi, I have a IP address of the target machine.Is there is any way to find out whether it is a unix box or windows box without logging into it?. Regs Anand (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: u449064
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Windows machine's IP address from Unix?

I am using windows Xp. From windows I would connect to my IBM AIX unix machine using telnet client. Is there any command available to view the IP address of Windows machine from Unix? (Note that ifconfig will give unix mahcine's IP address currently logged in.) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from windows to unix using a perl script on unix machine

i need to ftp a file from windows to a unix machine by executing a sript(perl/shell/php) from that unix machine.i can also use HTML and javascript to build forms. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Environment on Windows Machine

Hello World,:cool: Is there a Way to create a UNIX enviornment on Windows bases Machine for enchancing my Skills regarding UNIX scripting.:confused: I know a software name VMware but i dont know how to confiure it:rolleyes:. If this is the apporitate tool for UNIX please guide me the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine?

What is the best way to learn UNIX, shell, and Perl on a Windows 2000 machine? My place of employment uses Solaris and Perl and I would like to learn some UNIX skills on my home PC. I read about "dual boots", "Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX", and "cygwin". What other free options are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

How to transfer files from UNIX server to windows machine or vice versa using ftp or sftp commands?

hi, i want to write a shell script code which transfers files from a directory in unix server to a directory in a windows machine.. can any1 give me a sample code which uses ftp or sftp command.. thanks very much, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do ftp from UNIX to windows machine?

hi, i am using ftp command to transfer files from unix server to windows server using a web interface. there is a shell script which is called by the web page which executes a ftp command which (ftp) tries to connect to the windows machine and asks for username and password. so in order to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies
VINAGRE(1)						      General Commands Manual							VINAGRE(1)

NAME
vinagre - a remote desktop viewer for the GNOME Desktop SYNOPSYS
vinagre [OPTIONS] [server][::port|:display] DESCRIPTION
vinagre is a remote desktop viewer for the GNOME desktop. It can support many protocols using a plugin system. Current plugins exist for VNC and SSH. Vinagre has many features, among others:. - Support for multiple connections simultaneously - Bookmarks and history support - Avahi integration - GNOME keyring integration - You can connect to a VNC server by double clicking on a .vnc file when using nautilus. OPTIONS
Help Options: -?, --help Show help options Application Options: -F, --file=filename Opens a .vnc file -f, --fullscreen Open Vinagre in fullscreen mode --geometry=GEOMETRY Specify geometry of the Vinagre window in X11 format -n, --new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of Vinagre --display=DISPLAY X display to use Run 'vinagre --help' to see a full list of available command line options OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: [server][::port|:display] Specifies the VNC server to connect to. The VNC server can be either a hostname, or an IP address. If the server is an IPv6 address, it must be enclosed by square brackets. The address can optionally be followed by two colons (::) and the VNC port number, or alter- natively by one colon (:) and the display where Vinagre should run. If a port is not specified, default value of 5900 will be used. If the value is lower than 1024, 5900 will be added to it. For example, ":0" means "5900" and ":1" means ":5901". If only a port is specified, but not the hostname, localhost will be assumed. Possible values for the display are between 0 and 1024. If a display number greater than 1024 is specified, it will be assumed to be a port. Note that you can't specify the port and the display at the same time. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Start vinagre from the command line example% vinagre Example 2: Create a new top-level window example% vinagre --new-window Example 3: Connect to a specified VNC server and port example% vinagre snoopy::5900 Example 4: Connect to a specified IPv4 address and port example% vinagre 192.168.1.35::2700 Example 5: Connect to a specified IPv6 address and port example% vinagre [2001:0db8:0:0:0:0:1428:57ab]::2700 Example 6: Connect to a VNC server specified by a .vnc file example% vinagre -F snoopy.vnc Example 7: Connect to localhost on a specified port in fullscreen mode example% vinagre -f ::5900 SEE ALSO
Vinagre help manual AUTHOR
Vinagre was written by Jonh Wendell <wendell@bani.com.br> and David King <amigadave@amigadave.com> This manual page was written by Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@ubuntu.com> and Halton Huo <halton.huo@sun.com>. User Commands April 18, 2011 VINAGRE(1)